Dr Damian Milton
Dr Milton works as a part-time lecturer at the University of Kent having joined Tizard in 2017. He also works for the National Autistic Society as an autism knowledge and expertise consultant.
He has been teaching in the further and higher education sectors since 2000 in a range of subject areas relating to autism and learning disabilities.
His research is based predominantly on increasing the meaningful participation of autistic people and people with learning disabilities in the research process. He chairs the Participatory Autism Research Collective (PARC). He is involved in a number of projects for the Autism Education Trust and has been a consultant for the Transform Autism Education (TAE) project.
Dr Milton teaches undergraduate and postgraduate autism studies modules as well as teaching on a module regarding the Sociology of Mental Health.
Autism in a social and cultural context, critical autism studies, participatory research and the autistic voice, qualitative research in the field of autism, autism and empathy, educational approaches and mentoring practices.
- member of the British Sociological Association
- member of the British Psychological Society
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- Editorial Board of Autism, International Journal of Research and Practice
- Editorial Board of Disability and Society
- Editorial Board of Autonomy, the Critical Interdisciplinary Journal of Autism Research
- Editorial Board Autism, Policy and Research