Iain Ramsay has taught in both England and Canada. From 1986-2007 he was a Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Canada. He has been a visiting Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Tokyo, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan and the University of Sydney.
Research interests are primarily in two areas:
- Credit and Insolvency
- Regulation of consumer markets at national, regional and international level
Iain's approach is interdisciplinary drawing on economic and socio-legal perspectives. He conducted ground breaking empirical research on personal insolvency in Canada, and was a member of the Canadian Personal Insolvency Task Force (2000-2002). He has written extensively on comparative consumer insolvency and is co-author of a World Bank Report on the Treatment of the Insolvency of Natural Persons. His current research, supported by a Fellowship from the Leverhulme Trust, focuses on explanations for the patterns of development of personal insolvency in the US and Europe. He is an elected member of the American Law Institute.back to top
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
Teaching and Supervision
Postgraduate seminars in International and Comparative Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law and Policy, International and Comparative Consumer Law, and Commercial Credit.
Iain is happy to supervise in the areas of regulation of consumer markets, consumer credit and insolvency as well as commercial credit and insolvency.
A comparative analysis of Takaful and Conventional Insurance
A Historical Analysis of the Canadian Companies Creditors Arrangement Act
Corporate Insolvency and the Role of the Insolvency Profession
Asta Zokaityte (with Professor Toni Williams)
The Development of Financial Literacy: A Historical Institutional Analysis
Abdulaziz Abdulrahman A Alsheikh
Systemic Risk, Islamic Finance and the Global Economy
Other Academic Activities
- Journal of Consumer Policy,
- SSRN Consumer Law Journal,
- Consumer Law Journal (Nigeria),
- Consumer Law Journal (Brazil),
- Editor-in-Chief, Osgoode Hall Law Journal 2003-2006,
- Journal of European Consumer and Market Law
- Law and Society Association.
- Member, Federal Task Force on Personal Insolvency (Canada) 2000-2003:
- has acted as consultant for Federal and provincial governments (Canada) on consumer law and policy, the UK National Consumer Council, Which? and the UK's Office of Fair Trading. Consultant research for Insolvency Service, England and Wales.
- President, International Association of Consumer Law 2003-07.
- Elected Member American Law Institute.