This module introduces the issues relating to the development of commercial electronic products. Topics include design, production techniques, the commercial background of a company, quality, safety and electromagnetic compatibility standards, electromagnetic compatibility issues and product reliability, ethical and environmental issues.
Total contact hours: 28
Private study hours: 122
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
• Introduction to Accounting - 3rd Edition, P. Marriott, J.R. Edwards, H.J. Mellett, Sage Publications, 2002, ISBN 0-7619-7038-X
• The Definitive Guide to Project Management, S Nokes and S Kelly, Second Edition, Financial Times/Prentice Hall, 2007, ISBN 0-273-71097-4
• EMC for Product Designers, T. Williams, Butterworth, 2006, ISBN-10: 0750681705
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of Product design and production technology: specification, design and manufacturing considerations for electronic products.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of Electromagnetic compatibility: EMC requirements, test methods and the European EMC Directive.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of Project management and systems engineering: basic management principles and tools for large scale engineering programmes, including product safety management.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of Financial Management: the importance of financial markets and principles of corporate financial management.
Back to top
Credit level 6. Higher level module usually taken in Stage 3 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.