The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Dr Charles Watters
Director of the European Centre for the Study of Migration and Social Care, and Reader in International Migration
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research
- 01227 823086
Fax: 01227 827005
His recent research includes a comparative study into the mental health and social care of refugees in four European countries on behalf of European Commission, and a study of reception arrangements for unaccompanied asylum seekers in the UK. He is currently undertaking research under the ESRC Identities and Social Action Programme into the impact of the immigration process on children's identities. His international activities include Visiting Professor at the University of Brasilia, where he is developing a research programme on internal migration and mental health.
back to top
|Watters, C (2008) Refugee Children: Towards the Next Horizon. Routledge London.
ISBN 0-415-38305-6 (hbk)
ISBN 0-415-38306-4 (pbk)
Watters, C (2002) The Mental Health and Social Care Needs of Refugees in the UK. Refugee Council, London.
- Nigbur, D., Brown, R., Cameron, L., Hossain, R., Landau, A., Rutland, A., le Touze, D., Watters, C., (in press) “Acculturation, well-being and classroom behaviour among British and British Asian primary school children in the South-East of England: Validating a child-friendly measure of acculturation attitudes” International Journal of Intercultural Relations. International Academy of Intercultural Research. Elsevier. (10% contribution)
- Watters, C (2008) “Migrants, Refugees and Mental Health Care in Europe” Hellenic Journal of Psychology. Thessaloniki
- Hossain, R., Watters, C., Brown, R., Cameron, L., Landau, A., le Touze, D., Nigbur, D., Rutland, A. (2007) “Social Capital, ethnicity and children’s well-being: Aspects of social capital in the everyday lives of British Punjabi children”, International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care 3(2). Pavilion Publishers. (20% contribution)
- Watters, C (2007) “Refugees at Europe’s Borders: the moral economy of care”, Transcultural Psychiatry 44, 394-417. Sage Publications.
- Watters, C and Ingleby, D (2004) “Locations of Care: The mental health and social care of refugees in Europe”, International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. 27 549-570 Elsevier. Sydney. (60% contribution)
- Watters, C (2002) “Migration and Mental Health Care in Europe: report of a preliminary mapping exercise”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies Vol 28, No 1 153-172
- Watters, C (2001) “Emerging Paradigms in the Mental Health Care of Refugees”, Social Science and Medicine, 52 1709-1718
- Silove, D, Steel, Z and Watters, C (2000) “Policies of Deterrence and the Mental Health of Asylum Seekers”, Journal of the American Medical Association. Vol 284(5) August 2000. pp604-61. American Medical Association. (25% contribution)
- Watters, C. (1996) “Inequalities in Mental Health: The Inner City Mental Health Project”, Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology. Vol 6 (5). pp383-394. Wiley..
- Watters, C (in press) Trafficking of Children in Europe in Trafficking in Europe. International Office for Migration. Geneva
- Watters, C (2006) Refugees and Mental Health Care in Europe, in Knapp, McDaid, Mossialos, Thornicroft (eds) Mental Health Policy and Practice Across Europe (European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies). Open University Press
- Watters, C (2005) Avenues of Access and the Parameters of Care: Reflections on Reception Procedures for Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children at a Port of Entry in Björnberg, U (ed) The Asylum Seeking Child in Europe. Jean Monet Centre for Excellence. University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Ingleby, D and Watters, C (2005) Mental Health and Social Care for Asylum Seekers and Refugees: A Comparative Study in Ingleby, D (ed) Forced Migration and Mental Health: Rethinking the Care of Displaced Persons. Springer. New York.
- Watters, C (2003) Good Practice in the Mental Health Care of Refugees: Perspectives on South Africa in Cohen, R. (ed) Migration and Health in Southern Africa. University of Cape Town.
- Watters, C. (1998) The mental health needs of refugees and asylum seekers : Key issues in research and service development, in: Nicholson, F and Twomey, P. Current Issues of UK Asylum Law and Policy. pp282-297. Avebury.
Watters, C. (1996) Representations and realities: Black people, mental health and community care in W. Ahmad & K. Atkin (Ed.), Race and Community Care. pp105-123. Open University Press.
- Watters, C. (1996) Representations of Asians in British psychiatry in C. Samson & N. South (Ed.), Conflict and Consensus in Social Policy; Racism, Citizenship and the Environment. Explorations in Sociology 44. British Sociological Association. London: Macmillan. pp88-105
- Watters, C., & Murphy, G. (1996). The background and context, in J. Harris (Ed.), Purchasing Services for People with Learning Disabilities, Challenging Behaviour and Mental Health Needs (pp. 1-4). Kidderminster: British Institute of Learning Disabilities.
- Murphy, G., & Watters, C. (1996). Purchasing for people with learning disabilities, challenging behaviour and mental health needs, in J. Harris (Ed.), Purchasing Services for People with Learning Disabilities, Challenging Behaviour and Mental Health Needs (pp. 47-63). Kidderminster: British Institute of Learning Disabilities.
- Watters C and Hossain, R. (2008) From Policy to Practice: The Reception of Asylum Seekers in Europe. Report to the European Commission. 10th European Conference on the Reception of Asylum Seekers. Malta 2008. European Commission.
- Watters, C and Hossain, R. (2008) Guidelines for the Protection and Care of Separated Asylum Seeking Children Leaving Psychiatric Care. National Children’s Bureau, London
- Brown, R., Rutland, A., Watters, C. (2007) Final Report to ESRC. Identities in transition: a longitudinal study of immigrant children. Economic and Social Research Council.
- Watters, C. (2007) “Recommendations for the development of Mental Health care of Migrants”. Portuguese Presidency of the European Union Conference: Health and Migration in the EU. 27-28 September 2007, Lisbon.
- Watters, C. and Robinson K (2006) Report on a Safe Case Transfer Project for Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children. Manchester Metropolitan Councils and the Association of Directors of Social Services
- Watters, C., Ormiston, H and Waples, S (2004) Evaluation of port of entry procedures for unaccompanied asylum seeking children. Kent County Council. Maidstone.
- Watters, C and Ingleby, D (2003) Good Practice in Mental Health and Social Care of Asylum Seekers and Refugees: A European partnership for progress. European Refugee Fund. European Commission. Brussels
Dr Charles Wattersback to top