Alumni Postgraduate Research Scholarship - exclusively for Kent graduates
The scholarships will cover tuition fees at the home rate and a maintenance grant at the same rate as the UK Research Councils (£14,777 for 2018/19)
- This scholarship, for alumni of the University of Kent, was inaugurated in 1995 and has been awarded annually since. It is funded entirely through gifts from alumni and friends of the University. The scholarship is open to applicants from any subject; the successful applicant will be selected on the basis of academic excellence, achievements to date in their chosen field, their communication skills and their contribution to the life of the University community.
- There will be two scholarships awarded to applicants starting their PhD in September 2018.
- The successful applicants will be registered for a full-time research degree; the scholarships will be offered for one year in the first instance, renewable for a maximum of three years.
- The successful applicants will be expected to act as 'ambassadors' for the University and to assist with fundraising for future scholarships. This will involve attending alumni events (not more than two per year) and being featured in, or writing for, University publications such as KENT, the University of Kent magazine or the University internal Newsletter.
- Hold, or be expected to hold a Bachelor's degree (1 or 2.1), or Master's degree (merit or distinction) from the University of Kent;
- Hold an offer of a place for a full-time postgraduate research degree at University of Kent for the following academic year 2018/19 (current research postgraduate students will only be considered in exceptional circumstances);
- demonstrate that they have made a contribution to the wider University community, for example, through Students' Union activities - societies, sports, volunteering - or acting as a student representative on University committees;
- have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to:
- explain their research clearly and without jargon to non-experts,
- convey their passion for their research to a wider audience,
- convince the panel of their research's wider value,
- act as 'ambassadors' for both the University and their subjects;
- be prepared to attend an interview in person at Canterbury on Tuesday 15 May 2018
How to apply
Applicants who may be eligible to apply will have a link in their portal to the relevant scholarship applications.
The deadline for this scholarship for 2018/19 has passed. Full details for 2019/20 will be published here when available.