Entry requirements: USA
At Kent we consider all applications on their individual merit and welcome students from the USA with a wide variety of qualifications and experience. Please note that some departments may have slightly different entry criteria.
If you have any specific queries or questions please do not hesitate to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
College Board code
The University of Kent's College Board code is 9027. Please quote this number if you request for your official transcripts to be sent to us
Foundation programme entry requirements
Students who have successfully completed their High School Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 are eligible to apply for our foundation programmes. We will also consider students who have taken the General Educational Development (GED) Programme, High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
We offer 1-year subject-specific foundation programmes in Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Computer Systems Engineering, Electronic and Communications Engineering, Forensic Science, Mathematics and Physics.
We also have an International Foundation Programme which gives you a year’s preparation in academic subjects, English language and study skills up to the level required for entry to a degree programme. The programme provides entry into a wide range of Bachelor degrees in our faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences.
Undergraduate entry requirements
For entry to a Kent undergraduate degree programme, US students typically need to have:
- A High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum final GPA of 3.2/4.0
PLUS one of the following:
- SAT with a score of between 1290 – 1380 depending on the subject you are applying for OR
- ACT with a score of between 27-29 depending on the subject you are applying for
OR one of the following, or a combination of:
- 3 SAT Subject Tests with cores of between 600-700 depending on the subject you are applying for OR
- 2 Advanced Placement (AP) tests with scores of between 4-5 depending on the subject you are applying for
Applicants will also be considered with one of the following:
- An Associate Degree with a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
- 1 or 2 years of a US Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
- International Baccalaureate Diploma and Certificates as per standard University of Kent requirements
- College-level classes/honors classes on a case-by-case basis
Second year entry
Students who have completed 2-3 years of a Bachelor’s degree in the US with a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 may be considered for 2nd year entry to a Kent undergraduate programme provided they have taken sufficient classes in their major.
Note about studying Law at the University of Kent
American students who wish to apply for any of our LLB (Law) programmes can also apply to the University of Kent upon completion of the qualifications listed above, since law is considered an undergraduate subject in the UK. It is not necessary to complete an undergraduate degree in the USA first and then apply for the LLB.
Students who have already completed their undergraduate degrees in a non-law subject but who wish to obtain an LLB can also apply for entry to the Senior Status LLB, which allows you to complete the LLB in two years rather than three.
back to top
Postgraduate entry requirements
For entry to a Kent postgraduate degree programme (Master’s), US students typically need to have completed a four-year undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s or First Professional degree) at an accredited university or college. Exact requirements will depend on the postgraduate degree you are applying for and the institution you have studied at.
- For programmes that require a 2:1 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.2/4.0. Students from highly ranked institutions may be accepted with a GPA of 3.0/4.0
- For programmes that require a 2:2 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.0/4.0. Students from highly ranked institutions may be accepted with a GPA of 2.8/4.0
Some, but not all, postgraduate programmes require your undergraduate degree to have a related major. Some postgraduate programmes may require work experience in a relevant field or at a certain level. back to top
For details of our MBA programme, please see the Kent Business School site.
For entry to a Kent PhD programme, US students typically need to have completed a Master’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 at an accredited university or college. Students who have completed a taught Master’s will need to show evidence of previous research experience.
If you would like to pursue a PhD at Kent, you should visit the relevant department website to identify potential supervisors for your research and thesis. You are encouraged to then make direct contact with the appropriate academic to discuss your research proposal.