This module provides an introduction to contemporary digital systems design. Starting with the fundamental building blocks of digital systems the module outlines both theoretical and practical issues for implementation. Practical work includes the use of digital simulation and analysis software for implementing real-world problems.
Total contact hours: 32
Private study hours: 118
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
Exam 2 hours (60%)
Practical assessments (40%)
• Electronics: A Systems Approach (6th Edition), Storey, Pearson, 2017
• Digital Design (5th Edition), Mano and Ciletti, Pearson, 2013
• Digital Design Principles and Practices (5th Edition), Wakerly, Pearson, 2018
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
The intended subject specific learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will:
1. Be familiar with the theory underlying modern digital systems.
2. Be able to design, in a structured way, the logic of digital systems.
3. Be familiar with the capabilities and operation of digital CAD facilities.
4. Understand the functional hardware and software components of a typical computer system including operating systems.
5. Appreciate the principles and technologies behind networking and the Internet.
The intended generic learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will:
1. have acquired skills in problem solving
2. have acquired skills in information technology
3. have acquired skills in the application of numerical methods
Back to top
Credit level 4. Certificate level module usually taken in the first stage of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.