Ten reasons to choose Psychology at Kent
1. Student experience
- In the National Student Survey 2017, over 92% of final-year Psychology students who responded to the survey were satisfied with the overall quality of their course. Psychology at Kent was ranked 14th for overall satisfaction.
2. Skills for life: careers and employability
3. Inspiring teaching
- Rated 8/10 on value added in The Guardian University Guide 2016.
- 100% of our academic teaching staff are classified as research active, and final year option modules are based on their areas of expertise.
4. World leading research
- Research conducted by academic staff in the School of Psychology at the University of Kent is ranked 11th/82 in the UK. This is based on Research Intensity calculated in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- 100% of the School's research impact was classified as having outstanding or very considerable reach and significance.
- Dr Georgina Randsley de Moura, Head of School, commented on the excellent REF research intensity ranking, saying that: "All members of the School are very proud of our collective achievements. The REF provides independent confirmation of our research excellence, and the high proportion of staff who contributed reflects the value we place on research and research-led teaching".
5. Flexibility and choice
- A range of undergraduate programmes including social, applied and clinical psychology and joint honours programmes, so that you can tailor your studies to your interests.
- At postgraduate level we offer eight coursework Masters degrees and supervision for full-time or part-time research degrees (MSc, PhD) in all our areas of expertise.
6. Professional recognition
- We have over 25 years' continuous accreditation by the British Psychological Society
- All of our undergraduate programmes are accredited by the BPS. This includes the joint honours degrees.
- The MSc in Forensic Psychology course is accredited by the BPS as providing the first (academic) year of professional training for those who wish to qualify as Chartered Forensic Psychologists.
- At the most recent reaccreditation of our undergraduate programmes, in February 2013, we received an outstanding four commendations, for:
- our success in creating an engaging environment where students are stakeholders in a research-led school
- the way our strategic planning captures the needs of students and supports the development of the provision in a bottom-up process
- the range of undergraduate programmes we offer, all of which offer a strong ethos of developing students' employability
- our cutting edge dedicated resources for students' practical work.
7. State-of-the art laboratory facilities
- A modern building equipped with a variety of technical facilities, including eye-trackers, EEG labs, brain stimulation labs, physiology labs, child-friendly testing space, virtual reality, and an observation suite.
- Moreover, our students have access to all this equipment through supervised research projects and the Research Experience Scheme.
9. Outstanding campus and location
- Situated on an attractive, self-contained campus on 300 acres of parkland overlooking the city of Canterbury.
- One hour by train to London.
- Excellent transport links to mainland Europe.
10. What the experts say
- 2nd for Psychology Graduate Prospects in The Complete University Guide 2019.
- 2nd for Psychology Graduate Prospects in The Times Good University 2018.
- Joint 2nd for 'Career after 6 months' in The Guardian University Guide 2018.
- Psychology at Kent was ranked 3rd in the UK for the percentage of students who found professional jobs or further study within six months of graduation in 2016 (DLHE).
- 10th in the UK for Psychology in The Times Good University Guide 2018.
- 13th in the UK for Psychology in The Complete University Guide 2019.
- 14th in the UK Psychology in The Guardian University Guide 2018.
- One of the top 100 universities in the world for Psychology in the 2018 QS World University Rankings by Subject.