This module is aimed at those practitioners who have a teaching and training role within practice. The module is intended to facilitate the continuous professional development of teaching and training skills of participants and enable them to transfer this into improved education and training within the work-place context, in order to support the development of the workforce. The module will develop your ability to critically analyse a selection of educational theories, particularly as it relates to models of adult learning, teaching and supervision in a workplace environment. The analysis of learning theory can then be used as a basis for the development of teaching skills. This module aims to develop the skills and knowledge to help students to create and maintain a positive learning environment within the workplace.
The taught sessions will provide the underpinning knowledge to permit students to demonstrate critical analysis of the theory together with reflection on own teaching skills. The assessments will provide opportunities for students to gain feedback and provide feedback to others in a positive learning environment which test the student's ability to deliver both theoretical and practical taught session.
Total contact hours: 30 hrs
Private study hours: 270 hrs
Total study hours: 300 hrs
This 30 credit module is available during Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.
This module is part of the Master's level programme.
Method of assessment
Main assessment methods:
Presentation (1) 30 minutes
Presentation (2) 30 minutes
Reading list (Indicative list, current at time of publication):
Bates, B. (2019) Learning Theories Simplified: and how to apply them to teaching. Second Edition. London: Sage Publications Ltd.
Gravells, A. (2017) Principles and Practices of Teaching and Training: A guide for teachers and trainers in the FE and skills sector (Further Education and Skills). London: Sage Publications Ltd.
Gravells, A. (2016) Principles and Practices of Assessment (Further Education and Skills). 3rd Edition. London: Sage Publications Ltd.
See the library reading list for this module (Medway)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Illustrate comprehensive knowledge of selected educational theories and practice, related to teaching, learning and supervision in a workplace environment.
2. Critically evaluate all aspects of the educational process applied to post compulsory education and training delivery related to workplace settings.
3. Demonstrate an application of theoretical learning to training and practice, by means of presentations and teaching demonstrations.
4. Critically appraise educational literature related to area of professional practice.
5. Demonstrate the critical development of skills in teaching and supervision, as appropriate to area of professional practice.
PCert / MSc in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare; MA / MSc in Professional Practice.
Back to top
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.