This module covers themes which are considered fundamental to competent and safe practice standards within healthcare. The module outlines the principles of professional standard setting and explores professional roles. During this module students will gain a critical understanding of the processes and protocols require when conducting audits within a workplace setting and the challenges associated with change management.
Throughout the module students are encouraged to approach the overarching theme from a perspective of whole team responsibility, thereby ensuring that contemporary practice informs and is reflected in all areas of professional activity. To this end, as well as demonstrating the process of audit, students will design and evaluate an evidenced informed audit tool, which is pertinent to contemporary practice within a healthcare setting. Audits carried out by students may be either have a clinical or non-clinical focus.
Total contact hours: 45
Private study hours: 255
Total study hours: 300
This 30 credit module is available during Autumn, Spring and Summer terms
This module is part of the Master's level programme
Method of assessment
Main assessment points:
Oral Presentation 1, 15 minutes, 20%
Audit Report, 4000 words, 60%
Presentation 2, 15 minutes, 20%
Care Quality Commission - A New System of Registration – Guide for providers of primary dental care. http://www.cqc.org.uk/_db/_documents/8788-CQC-Dentists-Revised_FINAL-300101.pdf
Chambers, R., Boath, E. and Rogers, D. (2007) Clinical Effectiveness and Clinical Governance Made Easy. 4th Revised Edition.London:Radcliffe Publishing Ltd.
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, Northern Ireland (2011) Minimum Standards For Dental Care and Treatment. Belfast. http://www.rqia.org.uk/cms_resources/Min_Stds_Dental_Mar11.pdf
Dhamija, B., Keane, M., Shen Low, C., and Ghosh, R (2012) Clinical Audit for Doctors and Healthcare Professionals: A comprehensive guide to best practice as part of clinical governance. 2nd Edition. London: BPP Learning Media.
Eaton, KA. (2006) Standards in Dentistry: A New Approach. London: Faculty of General Dental Practitioners (UK).
Primary Dental Care Services – Clinical Governance Framework".http://www.pcc.nhs.uk/uploads/Dentistry/may_2006_uploads/primary_care_dental_services_clinical_governance_framework.pdf
Ratten, R. Chambers, R. & Wakley, G. (2002) Clinical Governance in General Dental Practice. London. Radcliffe Publishing Ltd.
See the library reading list for this module (Medway)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the contemporary evidence based bases available to ethically evolve and professional standard setting within the healthcare sector.
2. Critically understand the purpose of professional standard setting and measuring and continuous professional development, as it links to professionalism and leadership within the wider healthcare context.
3. Demonstrate an ability to critically reflect and evaluate own performance in order to ethically advance own professional practice within the limits of current regulations.
4. Design and evaluate an audit tool and process which is applied suitably for raising professional or patient treatment standards within a workplace setting.
5. Demonstrate the ability to apply health literature and publications and the process of audit within ethically based practice within a workplace setting.
6. Critically evaluate understanding of the factors associated to managing change to improve professional standards within a workplace setting.
PG Cert/PG Diploma, MSc in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare
Back to top
Credit level 7. Undergraduate or postgraduate masters level module.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.