This module will cover chemical concepts and principles. Through lectures and workshops, student will learn about atoms and states of matter, valence and bonding, basic chemical reactions, molecular shapes and isomerism, writing chemical equations and thermodynamics. The application of these principles in chemistry, forensic science, biological and exercise science will be explored in workshops, illustrating their fundamental importance in the natural sciences.
Private Study: 170
Contact Hours: 30
Method of assessment
• Moodle Quiz 1 (20 Questions) – 10%
• Moodle Quiz 2 (20 Questions) – 10%
• Moodle Quiz 3 (20 Questions) – 10%
• Moodle Quiz 4 (20 Questions) – 10%
• Problem Solving and Data Analysis – 10%
• Examination (2 Hours) – 50%
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts of atoms, molecules, and states of matter;
2. Demonstrate knowledge of understanding of basic valences, bonding and molecular interactions;
3. Demonstrate elementary knowledge and understanding of organic compounds, shapes and basic isomerism and reactivity;
4. Understand, write and balance chemical equations.
Back to top
Credit level 3. Foundation level module taken in preparation for a degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.