Bayes Theorem for density functions; Conjugate models; Predictive distribution; Bayes estimates; Sampling density functions; Gibbs and Metropolis-Hastings samplers; Stan and Python; Bayesian hierarchical models; Bayesian model choice; Objective priors; Exchangeability; Choice of priors; Applications of hierarchical models.
Total contact hours: 36
Private study hours: 114
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
A.F.M. Smith and Bernardo, J.M. (1994). Bayesian Theory. Wiley.
A. Gelman, J.B. Carlin, H.S. Stern, D.B. Dunson, A. Vehtari and D.B. Rubin (2014). Bayesian Data Analysis. 3rd Edition, Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science.
D. Gamerman and H.F. Lopes (2006). Markov Chain Monte Carlo: Stochastic Simulation for Bayesian Inference. 2nd Edition, Taylor and Francis.
On successfully completing this module students will be able to:
1) demonstrate systematic understanding of key aspects of Bayesian Statistics;
2) demonstrate the capability to solve complex problems using a very good level of skill in calculation and manipulation of the material in the following areas: derivation of posterior distributions; computation of posterior summaries, including the predictive distribution; construction of Bayesian hierarchical models and their estimation using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods; critical evaluation and interpretation of software output;
3) apply a range of concepts and principles in Bayesian Statistics in loosely defined contexts, showing good judgement in the selection and application of tools and techniques;
4) make effective and well-considered use of Stan and Python to apply techniques in Bayesian Statistics.
Back to top
Credit level 7. Undergraduate or postgraduate masters level module.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.