Prerequisites for Joint Honours students: Students must have achieved at least 60% average at Stage 1 and must be taking an additional 30 credits of Culture and Literature in French
This module is not available as a wild module
OverviewThe module is an opportunity to embark on extended written analysis of a chosen area of study, related to, but not part of, another stage two French non-language module. It culminates in the presentation of an essay, normally in English, of between 4,000 and 6,000 words
This module appears in:
Approx. 6 hours
This module is deliberately not a taught module. It builds on the skills and knowledge acquired by students in the earlier content modules and encourages their independent research work. Contact hours consist of one-to-one supervision according to individual supervision plans tailored to the respective student's needs.
Method of assessment
This will vary according to the topic chosen
Students who successfully complete the module will:
1. have a first opportunity, as a stage two student already committed to extensive reading in French literature and culture, to undertake a longer piece of analytical and critical writing.
2. have the opportunity to concentrate and deepen analysis of an author, cultural theme or works, related to, but not part of, another stage two non language module.
3. engage in close reading and critical evaluation of films, literary works or historical texts in French;
4. engage in independent research in the library collections and perhaps beyond;
5. have the opportunity for one-to-one discussion with an expert supervisor.