OverviewThis module provides an introduction to contemporary digital systems design. Starting with the fundamental building blocks of digital systems the module outlines both theoretical and practical issues for implementation. Practical work includes the use of digital simulation and analysis software for implementing real-world problems.
This module appears in:
Total contact hours: 32
Private study hours: 118
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
Exam 2 hours (60%)
Practical assessments x6 typically 3 pages each (40%)
1. Be familiar with the theory underlying modern digital systems.
2. Be able to design, in a structured way, the logic of digital systems.
3. Be familiar with the capabilities and operation of digital CAD facilities.
4. Understand the functional hardware and software components of a typical computer system including operating systems.
5. Appreciate the principles and technologies behind networking and the Internet.