Digital Communication - Advanced modulation and optimal receivers design and their performances of M-ary PSK and QAM; Signal design for bandlimited channels; Carrier and symbol synchronization; Multichannel and multicarrier communications (e.g. OFDM); Filterbank based Multicarrier Transmission (FBMC); Spread spectrum and CDMA signals for digital communications; Multiuser communications; multiple input multiple output (MIMO) technology.
Channel Coding - Channel coding concept and properties. Block codes, convolutional codes and Turbo codes, Polar codes and LDPC codes
Seven examples classes.
Four examples classes.
Two 4-hour laboratory sessions introducing Simulink and its application to digital communications. An assessed assignment on a digital communications link.
Total contact hours: 41
Private study hours: 109
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
Main assessment methods
• Digital Communications 5th Edition, J. Proakis and M. Salehi, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 2008
• Wireless Communications, A. Goldsmith, Cambridge Press, 2006
• Probability Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, A. Papoulis, 4th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2002
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1) Understand the principles of different digital modulation schemes, spread spectrum technology, multiple access technologies, and how to analyse them;
2) Understand the principles of multichannel and multicarrier communications;
3) Understand the principles of multiple input multiple output systems;
4) Understand the principles of error correcting codes and be able to analyse and design in outline the digital circuits employed.
Back to top
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.