© University of Kent - Contact | Feedback | Legal | FOI | Cookies
What is cyber security?
Cyber security is the means by which individuals and organisations reduce the risk of being affected by cyber-crime.
Cyber security's core function is to protect the devices we all use (smartphones, laptops, tablets and computers), and the services you access online - both at home, work or University - from theft or damage. It's also about preventing unauthorised access to the vast amounts of personal information you store on these devices, and online.
Cyber security is important because smartphones, computers and the internet are now such a fundamental part of modern life, that it's difficult to imagine how we'd function without them. From online banking and shopping, to email and social media, it's more important than ever to take steps that can prevent cyber criminals getting hold of your accounts, data, and devices.
Think before you link
We live in a very connected world with numerous interactions where we create, share, and exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.
- Do you know who you are connecting with?
- Do you know what information, personal or organisational you are sharing intentionally or inadvertently?
- Are there any security issues - personal or organisational?
Please view the following YouTube videos for more information.
If in doubt or you have any concerns please contact Campus Security or the Police. Connect wisely and safely.
Top tips for staying secure online
- Cyber criminals can use your email to access many of your personal accounts, leaving you vulnerable to identity theft.
Use a strong password for email
- Software and app updates contain vital security updates to help protect your devices from cyber criminals.
Information about software and app updates
- Two-factor authentication is recommended for email accounts to make sure your data is secure.
Information about two-factor authentication
- Using a password manager can help you create and remember passwords.
Information about using password managers
- Secure smartphones and tablets with a screen lock. Screen locks offer your devices an important extra layer of security.
Use a screen lock
- Safeguard your most important data, such as your photos and key documents, by backing them up to an external hard drive or a cloud-based storage system.
Back up important data
Dealing with common cyber problems
Please go to https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/section/information-for/individuals-families for information about dealing with cyber crime.
How to report cyber crime
Visit the National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre web page.