This policy outlines how Information Services uses data generated by the Templeman Library KentONE card access system.
Who is this policy for?
This is a public policy intended for Information Services staff, University staff and students, and members of the public.
The University records data from your KentONE card when you use it to enter any building. Information Services will analyse the data collected from your KentONE as you enter and exit the Templeman Library. This data will be combined with data from the Student Data System to provide information on how the Templeman Library is used by its users.
Your individual access data will be anonymised and will inform the operation and development of the Templeman Library.
What we will not do
Information Services will not:
- use this data to track an individual’s use of the building.
- use this data to track academic attainment levels.
- disclose personally identifiable data to other University departments or external bodies.
Why do we collect information?
We want to improve the experience of using our services and collections. We want to identify trends and better understand how the Templeman Library is used by its community of users.
Information collected by the card access system is used to provide data on:
- building occupancy levels
- which disciplines are using the Library
- student, staff, and visitor access to the building
- the type of students using the building eg undergraduate, postgraduate (taught), postgraduate (research)
- equality assessments and improvements.
We will use the data to inform:
- the development of services and support
- the assessment and monitoring of services and support
- appropriate staff resource levels for services and support
- appropriate staff resource levels to maintain the security of the building.
How do we collect information?
Data will be recorded by the University card access control system when you use your KentONE card to enter and exit the building. This data will be combined with your student data record from the student data system. Once combined, your personal identifiable information will be removed from the dataset.
Data will be recorded when you use the Forgotten Card Kiosk to print off a day pass. Data will be recorded when you use a Forgotten Card Kiosk day pass to enter and exit the building.
What information do we collect?
We will collect the following information:
- date of entry and exit
- time of entry and exit
- which entrance was used
- student / staff ID
- card number
- School / Department.
We will use the student ID number to identify the following data from the Kent Student Data System (Kent Vision) / other Kent systems:
- attendance: full-time, part-time
- level: undergraduate, postgraduate (taught), postgraduate (research)
- stage: 1, 2, 3
- fee type – UK, EU, overseas
Which information will be removed when you anonymise data?
When we have combined your access data with your student data, we will remove your name, student or staff ID and card number from Information Services records.
Will we disclose the information to the University outside parties?
We are committed to protecting your data. No personally identifiable information will be disclosed by Information Services to the University or outside parties, unless required to do so by law.
How do we protect personal information?
The University is committed to holding your data securely and treating it with sensitivity and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
How long will data be retained?
We will retain your individual access data for a period of up to 6 months. Anonymised data will be retained indefinitely.
Policy updates require approval from IS Space & Services management group.
Policy review date
This policy will be reviewed annually by the IS Space & Services management group.
Policy created: April 2018
Policy reviewed: May 2018