Complaints Form

Please complete the form below to make a complaint to the Estates Department Customer Services Centre.

This form is for making a complaint if you are unhappy with the service you have received from the Estates Department. If you are making a request for work to be carried out, please use one of the following options:


  • Authorised Web Central intranet users can click here to report a defect.
  • If you are reporting a defect in your accommodation, please contact the Housekeeper or Reception in your accommodation building.


Complaints Form

Please provide a detailed explanation of your complaint.

As a result of making this complaint, what do you view as a fair resolution/outcome?

The Estates Department- © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NN, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 24/07/2019