Prestigious NIHR Award for CHSS Director
24 February 2020
Professor of Health Policy Stephen Peckham, Director of CHSS has been appointed NIHR Senior Investigator (SI). The award is one of 28 given to outstanding national research leaders in the NIHR 2020 SI appointments.
Stephen, who is also Founding Director of the new NIHR Applied Research Collaboration, Kent Surrey and Sussex (ARC KSS) said ‘This represents only the second ever Senior Investigator award given in our region, so I’m really delighted to be recognised in this way’.
Senior Investigators are among the most prominent and prestigious researchers funded by the NIHR and the most outstanding leaders of patient and people-based research within the NIHR research community. Collectively, they constitute the NIHR College of Senior Investigators, and are members of the NIHR Academy.
The first south east recipient has moved away, leaving Stephen as the only NIHR Senior Investigator based in Kent, Surrey and Sussex.
NIHR Senior Investigators:
- Contribute significantly to NIHR as a senior leader
- Lead in training and development of NIHR's people
- Act as an ambassador for the NIHR in the wider system
- Demonstrate research excellence
- Integrate patient and public involvement in research
- Play a leading role in NIHR's Contribution to Growth, for example through attracting, developing and retaining a highly skilled health research workforce, or by supporting collaborations and contract research with the life sciences industry.