Tunbridge Wells and District Maternity Home
After the war, the women of Tunbridge Wells resolved to devote their thank offering for peace to the provision of a maternity home, together with a hostel and day nursery for the children of widows and deserted wives, for the benefit of the town and the neighbourhood.
When, therefore, the Mayor called a meeting to discuss post-war reconstruction, Amelia Scott, representing the National Council of Women, suggested a maternity home as an appropriate scheme. The recently-passed Maternity and Child Welfare Act of 1818 had placed the responsibility for the welfare of mothers and children with local councils and thus the Tunbridge Wells Council set up a Maternity and Child Welfare Committee. By the end of 1919 Amelia Scott and Susan Power, the two new women councillors, were amongst the committee's members.
source: The Women's Library
The proposed Maternity Home would provide services to pregnant women and mothers of children up to school age. It was also proposed to establish a lying-in hospital for complicated cases and for those living in insanitary surroundings. For this purpose the sum of £1478 was raised but it was not until August 1924 that two adjoining freehold houses in Upper Grosvenor Roadd were secured. To meet the requirements of the Ministry of Health and to adapt the premises for a Nursing Home, certain alterations and additions had to be made, including the installation of electric light, and arrangements made for a good hot water supply.
The Home was not intended to be run as a money-making concern, but to meet the needs of many who were suffering from the inconvenience of lack of adequate housing. The Town Council draw up agreement with the NCW Thankoffering Maternity Home Committee, by which the latter undertook to meet the cost of four beds in the home