Student Learning Adviser
Student Learning Advisory Service
- 01634 888968
I teach Study Skills at Medway (full time) and I have particular interests in writing and English for Academic Purposes. I also have expertise on writing reflectively, Personal Development Planning and E-portfolios. In addition I lead on Medway’s Academic Peer Mentoring provision.
Louise Frith is a Student Learning Adviser at the University, based on the Medway campus. She specialises in writing skills and writing for academic purposes. She teaches across disciplines including; social work, the arts and business. Louise works closely with staff and students to embed academic skills into the curriculum. Louise regularly contributes to the Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, she is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and is on the National Advisory Board for Academic Peer Learning.
- Frith, L. (2010) How do different models of PDP influence the embedding of e-portfolios in Journal for Learning Development in Higher Education
- Frith, L. Martin, R & Osborne, S (2009). Using e-portfolios to evidence practice learning for Social Work students. In Technology supported environments for personalised learning ed O’Donoghue, J
- Frith, L. (2008) What to do with an e-portfolio? In PDP-UK. Issue 12, Feb
- Frith, L. (2007) Students Engagement with PDP at Kent. In PDP-UK. Issue 10, March
- Frith, L. (2000) Non-discriminatory Education in Nepal VSO/Save the Children UK
- Frith, L. May, G. and Pocklington, A. (2017)The Students Guide to Peer Mentoring. Palgrave.
- Frith, L and Martin, R (2015). Professional Writing Skills for Social Workers. OUP, McGraw Hill. Maidenhead
- Frith, L. Martin, R & Osborne, S (2010). Using e-portfolios to evidence practice learning for Social Work students. In Technology supported environments for personalised learning ed O’Donoghue, J. IGI Global.
back to top
- Frith (2016) What Role does Academic Peer Mentoring play in addressing the Attainment Gap? Student Success Conference. University of Kent.
- Buckley, C & Frith L (2010) ‘Building a PDP community of practice’, CRA International Conference on PDP and e-portfolios. Nottingham 26-28 April.
- Frith, L & Mountjoy, (2009) G ‘A Threshold Concepts approach to PDP’ CRA annual conference, Manchester 23-25 Nov
- Frith, L. & R Thapa Chhetri. What to do with an e-portfolio? At the LDHEN Symposium The Challenge of Learning Development, Bournemouth, 6 _ 7 April 2009
- Frith, L. & A. Wilson. Embedding study skills into the curriculum. At the Learning Development who needs it? LDHEN Symposium Bradford 17-18 March (2008)
- Frith, L. Students’ engagement with PDP software. LDHEN Symposium Bournemouth 12th April 2007
- Cash, C. & L. Frith Students’ Views of Assessment .LDHEN Symposium Liverpool. 4th April 2006
Louise worked as Project Leader on the University’s Students and Stress project. The project brought together Study Advisers, Student Counsellors, Academics and Students to produce a resource aimed at helping students overcome study related stress. The project won the University’s Teaching and Learning Support prize in 2015. https://www.kent.ac.uk/smfa/currentstudents/meditationmix2015.htmlback to top
- Mentoring at university: Kent Extra Module https://www.kent.ac.uk/extra/courses/coursesSkillsEmploy.html
- Writing Well workshops
- Study Skills workshops
- VALUE: retention programme
- Advantage Initiative: embedded skills workshops