Self-help resource list
The resources listed on our website are intended for guidance only, and the views expressed or advice given by any of these organisations do not necessarily reflect those of the University of Kent as an organisation. University of Kent will not accept any responsibility for any action taken as a result of the content, guidance or advice given by the organisations listed.
- Local support for drug and alcohol addictions in Canterbury is provided by The Forward Trust.
- Turning Point offer local support for drug and alcohol addictions in Medway: 0300 123 1560.
- Gam Care, a National Gambling Charity offer support for gambling addiction.
- Gamblers Anonymous.
- Frank offers advice and education about drugs.
- NHS alcohol addiction help.
- Starting point for people finding out about SA and related issues.
- The Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI).
- Cruse Bereavement Care: national charity offers group and one-to-one support to those who have been bereaved: 08456 030024.
- Marie Curie: practical advice and confidential support covering all aspects of terminal illness and bereavement for patients, and their families and friends.
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS): support for those who have been bereaved through suicide.
- Winston’s Wish – A national charity supporting children, and parents of children, who have been bereaved.
Big White Wall
University of Kent students wherever they are located can access free, 24/7 online support for issues around mental health and wellbeing. The Big White Wall (BWW) is a Care Quality Commission registered service recognised nationally through awards by the NHS and is a safe environment overseen by qualified therapists called Wall Guides. It offers:
- peer talk therapies where members initiate or join forums on topics ranging from depression and anxiety to relationship issues, work stress, abuse, self-harm and eating disorders
- peer support and networks where students make ‘friends’ to create a support network as a reference group, source of motivation and a means to improve self-awareness
- creative therapies employing art and writing therapies where members express themselves on ’bricks’ that are posted to the Big White Wall where they can choose to share and discuss the underlying ‘story’
- brief counselling providing immediate 24/7 support from Big White Wall Guides who are trained counsellors
- 24/7 guided groups that are based in therapeutic approaches such as interpersonal therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy
- Access Big White Wall
- Please use the following code: KENT1
- Bullying UK: Bullying at University.
- Canterbury Nightline
- 01227 824848
- Rethink Carers Support Group - 01227 760707.
- Carers Support offers support to those who care for a relative or friend –or 01304 364637.
- University Medical Centre Eating Disorders Service.
- Eating disorders national helpline for young people (aged14-25) 0845 527 4809.
- Self-help workbooks.
- National eating disorder charity B-eat.
General advice and support
- Citizens Advice Bureau – Canterbury 01227 452762 or Medway 01634 383760. National helpline: 0844 499 4128.
General online resources for self-help booklets
- NHS self-help guidance.
- Self-help guidance.
- Consumer Resources section.
- Ted talks on depression, mindfulness, self-esteem.
General self-help books available in the University library
- Porchlight Canterbury offer local support to those who may find themselves homeless - 01227 760078 or 0800 567 7699.
Relaxation and mindfulness
- Meditation Mix CD.
- You Tube videos – search for guided meditations with Jon Kabat-Zinn or Mark Williams.
- East Kent Early Intervention in Psychosis Service - 01227 812390: This service is based in Littlebourne Road, Canterbury. They are a specialist team who work with young people between 14 and 35 who experience symptoms of psychosis for the first time.
Sex, Love and Relationships
- Best Practice in Sexual Health (BISH) is an online guide to sex, love and relationships.
- Relate offers counselling for those with relationship problems - Canterbury: 01227 766094 Medway: 01634 380 038.
Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence
- We Can Stop It - an online resource for awareness.
- Canterbury Women's Refuge and Rising Sun Domestic Violence Project offer advice and counselling for women who have experienced domestic violence - 01227 452852 or 01227 452849.
- Beech House Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers local, confidential support for victims of sexual assault.
- East Kent Rape Line offer support to male and female victims of sexual abuse: 0800 458 2818.
- Family Matters offer counselling for children and adult survivors of sexual abuse - 01474 537392.
- National Domestic Violence: 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.
- LGBT Foundation, formerly known as The Lesbian & Gay Foundation (The LGF): is a national charity delivering a wide range of services to lesbian, gay and bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities.