Student Immigration

All you need to know about VISAs and studying

Frequently asked questions

What is the Tier 4 Points Based System (PBS)

In 2008 the UK Government introduced the Points Based System of immigration for non-EU / EEA nationals who wish to work and study in the UK.  UK institutions that wish to recruit international students to courses that are longer than 6 months duration must be sponsored by the government as a Tier 4 sponsor for immigration purposes.

Tier 4 and the University

The University is a Tier 4 Sponsor and recruits and sponsors international students under Tier 4 of the Points Based System of immigration. To sponsor a student under Tier 4 the University issues a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The University must follow strict Home Office guidelines at all times to ensure it retains its licence to recruit international students. This is extremely important to both the University and to its international student and staff population.

The University has many responsibilities for students who we sponsor under Tier 4 including reporting students and retaining certain records.

Students and Tier 4

Students applying for a Tier 4 visa must demonstrate that they meet the requirements for the visa and intend to study the course for which they were sponsored.  As a Tier 4 visa holder studying at Kent your Tier 4 visa is linked to the University. You may not study with any other institution while holding a Tier 4 visa sponsored by Kent and likewise, if you hold a Tier 4 visa sponsored by another institution you may not study at Kent. While sponsored on a Tier 4 visa you must adhere to your visa conditions at all times.


University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 11/09/2018