Student Immigration

All you need to know about VISAs and studying

Frequently asked questions

BRP Error/ Lost BRP

What is a BRP error?

You can report problems with your BRP online, for example:

  • there’s a mistake on it, for example your name, gender or date of birth is wrong
  • the length of leave granted is incorrect*
  • if your conditions of stay are incorrect, eg working hours*
  • your BRP was damaged when it arrived

If you are not sure, please contact our team at

*If you applied for your visa from inside the UK, you can ask for an administrative review.

I have an error on my BRP - what are the next steps?

If there’s a problem with your BRP when it arrives, report it within 10 days. Otherwise you may have to apply and pay for a replacement.

You can read more about this process and report your BRP error here.

I have reported the error - what happens next?

The Home Office will email you within 5 working days to tell you what to do next. It’ll take longer if you don’t give an email address.

You should let our team know that you have reported the error by emailing Once you receive your replacement BRP you should present it to the Registry student reception as soon as possible.

Lost or Stolen BRP

You can report your biometric residence permit (BRP) lost or stolen from inside or outside the UK. You can only order a replacement from inside the UK.

The Home Office will contact you within 1 working day of reporting it.

For more information on how to report your lost/stolen BRP and to apply for a replacement please see here.



University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 12/01/2023