Student Immigration

All you need to know about VISAs and studying

Frequently asked questions

What is the Student route Points-Based Immigration System

New immigration routes have opened for applications to work, live and study in the UK from 1 January 2021. UK institutions that wish to recruit international students to courses that are longer than 6 months duration must be licenced by the government as a Student route sponsor for immigration purposes.

Student route and the University

The University is a Student route sponsor and recruits and sponsors international students under Student route of the Points-Based System Immigration System. To sponsor a student under Student route the University issues a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The University must follow strict Home Office guidelines at all times to ensure it retains its licence to recruit international students. This is extremely important to both the University and to its international student and staff population.

The University has many responsibilities for students who we sponsor under Student route including reporting students and retaining certain records.

Students and Student route

Students applying for a Student route visa must demonstrate that they meet the requirements for the visa and intend to study the course for which they were sponsored.  As a Student route visa holder studying at Kent your visa is linked to the University. You may not study with any other institution while holding a Student route visa sponsored by Kent and likewise, if you hold a Student route visa sponsored by another institution you may not study at Kent. While sponsored on a Student route visa you must adhere to your visa conditions at all times.


University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 12/01/2023