Student Immigration

All you need to know about VISAs and studying


Student visa route status

In 2008 the UK Government introduced the Points Based System of immigration for non-EU / EEA nationals who wish to work and study in the UK.  UK institutions that wish to recruit international students to courses that are longer than 6 months duration must be sponsored by the government as a Student visa route sponsor for immigration purposes.



Student visa route and the University

The University is a Student visa route Sponsor and recruits and sponsors international students under UK Immigration law. The University must follow strict Home Office guidelines at all times to ensure it retains its licence to recruit international students. This is extremely important to both the University and to its international student/staff population.


Student visa route and You

As a Student visa route visa holder studying at Kent your 4 visa is linked to the University. You cannot study with any other institution while holding a Student visa visa sponsored by Kent and likewise, if you hold a Student route visa sponsored by another institution you cannot study at Kent. While sponsored on a Student visa you must adhere to your visa conditions at all times, you can read more about this on our Visa Responsibilities page

University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 12/01/2023