Jump to body content. Jump to site menu.
Student Guide

Sexual respect

Everyone who is part of our community has the right to feel respected and safe. We are committed to preventing sexual violence, which can happen in a domestic setting or relationship.

U.N.I (You and I) Protect

See something? Say something. Do something! You can make a difference!

The University and Students’ Union developed the U.N.I (You and I) Protect training programme to equip you with the skills to recognise and safely challenge harmful behaviour, including sexual harassment or abuse.

What is U.N.I protect?

  • helps you to recognise and challenge any problematic and harmful behaviour such as sexual harassment or abuse;
  • equips students with the skills to be 'active bystanders' so that they can intervene safely and with confidence;
  • promotes a culture of dignity and respect across the University;
  • ensures that students are aware of the help and support available, both from the University and from external organisations, should they (or someone they know) need it.

We can all take action to protect each other and the wider University community

If you have any questions or queries, please email respect@kent.ac.uk.

Sign up for the training programme

Sign up for the free U.N.I (You and I) Protect training programme via Study Plus.

Domestic violence support

University may be a time for many firsts. This could be your first time living away from home, meeting new people and maybe starting your first relationship.

We want you to be informed when it comes to what a healthy relationship looks like, and if you are or think you might be in an abusive relationship, where you can go for support.

If you think you’re (or someone you know is) in an abusive relationship, you can go to a drop-in session with an adviser from Rising Sun Domestic Violence and Abuse Service. Drop-ins take place every Thursday during term-time, from 12.00 – 14.00, in Student Support and Wellbeing Reception in Keynes College.

Contact the Wellbeing Team

Rape and sexual assault

The perpetrator is always to blame for sexual assault or rape

We take sexual assault and rape extremely seriously.

If you (or someone you know) has been (or thinks) they have been sexually assaulted or raped, read our guidance and support. The guidance outlines support available and helps you to make informed decisions about next steps, including:

  • Who to contact
  • Deciding whether or not to report the incident to the Police (the University will never pressurise you to report the incident to the Police)
  • Time frames to be aware of
  • Issues of confidentiality (who will need to be informed)
  • The support services available at the University
  • Local and national support services

If the incident has just happened, it is important that you try to get yourself to a safe place and keep warm as you may be in shock.

Read the guidance

Where to get help

In an emergency, you should call 999.

You do not have to contact the police if you don’t want to, but you should alert your College Master who will be able to assist and support you.

If you have been a victim of, or are concerned about, sexual and/or domestic abuse, the following contacts can provide help, support, information and advice.

Contraception and sexual health

The University Medical Centre and Nursing Service provide a full range of contraceptive and sexual health services including STI screening and contraception.

Find out more on the University Medical Centre website.

Corporate Communications - University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000