There are loads of benefits of eating well from increased energy, better sleep, improved physical and mental health, however it can sometimes feel difficult on a student budget. This page provides some top tips to eating well while at University.
Top tips to improve your diet
- Control your portion sizes – just by controlling your portion sizes you can take a step towards a healthier lifestyle. Find out more about portion sizes.
- Eating well on a budget – the NHS provide some top tips to help save money and check out Tesco’s budget recipes for inspiration.
- Cut down on takeaways – fast food is often the unhealthier option so cutting back on how often you have a takeaway will help. The NHS also have some tips to make your takeaway night healthier.
- Drink plenty of water – sometimes you are just thirsty and not hungry. Down a glass of the clear stuff before reaching for a chocolate snack.
- Don’t skip breakfast – it will give you the brain power you need for morning lectures!
- Be organised – plan your health meals for the week and create a shopping list. This will save you money and improve your health.
- Have your five a day – make sure you’re getting a good mix of fruit and veg throughout the day!
- Get Googling – there’s loads of healthy recipe ideas online so have search and be inspired by the healthy meal options out there!