The University and students' unions have a wealth of services dedicated to supporting you during this period of change caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. They include expertise in support and wellbeing, online learning, IT, student finance, housing, accommodation and immigration.

Learn more about support services offered by the University, students' unions and externally. See also:


Student support and wellbeing

Student Support and Wellbeing are  committed to making your time at the university a positive experience. They work hard to improve your access to learning and provide a wide range of support. They also support students with a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as Dyslexia; discuss academic adjustments for people with temporary or permanent disabilities or chronic conditions; support autistic students. Plus they offer support for anyone at Kent experiencing distress arising from psychological, emotional or mental health issues. If you previously had support from a mentor or tutor, they will be in touch with you to arrange virtual meetings.

 IT and library support

If you need help setting up your computer or for any IT support you can get in touch with the IT helpdesk. You can email

For Library support see library contacts at both Templeman and Drill Hall libraries.

Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS)

SLAS are continuing to provide online skills development workshops and individual study advice appointments. For more information on how SLAS can support you, and to access study guides, time planners and other learning resources, please visit the SLAS website. For any enquiries regarding study support please email:

Divisional Student Support Teams

Each Division has its own dedicated Student Support Team, who you can contact if you are experiencing personal circumstances which are having an impact on your studies. 

Student Immigration Team

For queries about your immigration status (Tier 4 sponsorship, change of location, visa expiry/extension) you can email

Finance Team

To contact the Income Office, Financial Aid Office and Medway Finance Office please go to their Contact Us page.

Accommodation Team

You can get in touch with the Accommodation Team by calling +44 (0)1227 766660 or emailing

Careers and Employability Service

The Careers and Employability Service are working remotely and staff are happy to help you with careers advice, reviewing applications and providing feedback. You can book an appointment either by emailing or by logging onto Target Connect.

College Life Team

The College Life Team offer advice, help and support for any welfare, pastoral or personal issues. They can be your first point of contact when you need assistance and all matters are dealt with in confidence.

Chaplaincy Team

Members of the Multifaith Chaplaincy Team are able to respond to questions, enquiries and offer appropriate support via phone or email. It may also be possible to link students to systems of support being offered locally by the various faith communities. You can head to their website for the contact details.

Student help

If you're not sure who to contact, please email and we will ensure you receive appropriate support. 

Students' unions

Our students' unions are available to provide support on a range of topics such as finances, academics, visas, housing and more.

Kent Union Advice Centre

The Kent Union Advice Centre is available remotely during its usual hours (10.00-16.00). We encourage you to get in contact via phone (01227 827724) or by emailing      

GKSU Advice Centre

The GKSU Advice Centre continues to operate remotely. To access advice please complete the contact form.  If you need to send an attachment please instead email You can also call 01634 888855.

Check out the Kent Union and GKSU websites for other ways they can support you.


Health advice

NHS: Online service that can tell if you need medical help and advice. Use this service if you think you might have coronavirus; if you have been to a country or area with a high risk of coronavirus; or you have been in close contact with someone with coronavirus.

Use this weblink: 111 online 

Or call 111 if you need to speak to someone. Don’t go to a hospital, GP surgery or pharmacy.

If you think you have Covid-19 or you have been asked to self-isolate, you must follow the University’s self-isolate- test- inform procedure so we can support you properly.  

Government advice

Department for Education: for higher education staff, students and parents with Covid-19 in relation to education.

Phone: 0800 046 8687
(opening hours: 8.00-18.00, Monday to Friday).


Home Office: for international higher education staff and students with immigration queries related to coronavirus.

Telephone: 0800 678 1767 (Monday to Friday, 9.00-17.00). Calls are free of charge.


Support FAQs

Yes, the University will support ‘at risk’ students.

Teaching is available online including the physical on-campus teaching (where possible).

If an online equivalent isn’t possible, it may be necessary to rearrange for later in the academic year when social distancing restrictions are reduced.

Student Support and Wellbeing continue to offer online appointments and events.

For further advice, please email 

Updated 5 November: Yes, we understand that this is a particularly unsettling time for students. Our colleagues in Student Support and Wellbeing are working hard to make sure you have all the support you need.

This includes online, and in some priority cases, in-person appointments with your Academic Adviser and Student Support and Wellbeing. As well as a whole programme of wellbeing events for both students and staff throughout the academic year. 

All our key Student Services are available online during this time with the majority of staff working remotely. These services include:

The Templeman Library has an extensive range of online resources including e-books and e-journals to support your studies in its digital library. 

There are also limited and socially distanced study spaces. View the services you can use at the Templeman Library and Drill Hall Library.

Please note the library laptop loans service is currently not being offered. 

You will need your own personal laptop or desktop PC to study at Kent. If you will find this difficult to achieve financially, you can apply for help.

Last updated