Faculty of Sciences - Research Strategy Fund
Each year, the University provides an investment fund to the Faculty to be spent on research activities.
The Faculty of Sciences Research Strategy Fund is to promote the dissemination of significant outputs, support the submission of larger and more ambitious research grant applications and support activities associated with the current REF cycle. It allows researchers to travel to conferences, travel to collaborators to strengthen REF impact case studies and make small equipment purchases.
Closing date for applications 31 March 2020
The Faculty fund available this year consists of:
- Research Fund £50,000
- Internationalisation Fund £20,000
Amount: This is up to you. £500, a few thousand… as long as the bid can be justified on a value for money basis.
All funds awarded must be spent by the 31st July 2020, the end of the UoK Financial Year. Please note also, that goods/services purchased must also be delivered/undertaken by this date. The funding cannot be carried forward to the next financial year, and cannot be used to buy goods/services for the next financial year.
The following funding streams are available:
- Support for travel to conferences, especially for Early Career Researchers and to support PhD students with limited available funds, although note funds must be spent by the end of July 2020.
- Support for grant application development, especially for collaborations for larger research council grants.
- Early Career Fellowships to develop collaborations for an early career researchers first Kent based independent research fellowship.
- Small equipment purchases of strategic importance to an individual or a School.
- Support for travel for visits to strengthen REF impact case studies
- A small Internationalisation Fund is also available and can be used to support strategic short-term, international initiatives within academic schools.
- Funds can be used to support travel, accommodation and subsistence costs to meet with potential collaborators.
- Please note an alternative University fund is also available to support REF related activities at https://research.kent.ac.uk/researchservices/rolling-fund/
- All monies must be spent by the end of July 2020.
- Directors of Research will be informed when the fund reserves have been depleted.
Gareth Howells – Associate Dean (Science) for Research and Innovation