Signs of neglect: Rosie 2
'Rosie 2' a child protection simulation takes place at Rosie’s home, with various members of her family present. The visual setting, the emotive characters and your growing knowledge of the family as you progress through the 13 scenes, provides a wealth of content to debate and develop your skills. This is a safe way to explore how to deal with potentially unsafe situations, addressing hostility and disguised compliance, and identifying elements of concern during a home visit - see learning outcomes below for more examples'.
This simulation is available for organisations, individuals, independent trainers and now also as a 1-day Masterclass: Assessing parental capacity and neglect in complex families. Information on the various packages is detailed below, and we are happy to discuss group discounts and arrange a session at your organisation email email@example.com. Ongoing support and advice is provided to ensure the resources are maximised within your organisation, as well as a number of worksheets for you to use or adapt to suit your needs.
Download the leaflet
Terms and condition of licence use please read before booking your place
Please read the terms and conditions below before booking your place on the CPD session. Unless formally agreed by the University of Kent, (or unless you have purchased a Trainer Package detailed below) licences may not be used to generate income, licence holders may not be commissioned to deliver training and are not permitted to share enrolment details with others. Licences are for use within schools/organisations or for own CPD.
'Rosie 2' Terms and Conditions for organisations and individuals.
'Rosie 2' Terms and Conditions for Masterclass
'Rosie 2' Terms and Conditions for training organisations and individual trainers
Book a place
CPD Session: Assessing parental capacity and neglect in complex families,a one day session using the 'Rosie 2'simulation. Delegates will have access to the licence for 12 months to continue their learning including access to the comprehensive training pack; video and links to further resources. If you would like to roll this out within your organisation after attending the training you can purchase the Trainer package to suit your organisation, and we are happy to discuss the best option for you or organise a bespoke package.
Masterclass: This 1-day Masterclass for students looks at the issues of 'Assessing parental capacity and neglect in complex families'. Delegates will have access to the licence for 12 months to continue their learning including access to the comprehensive training pack; video and links to further resources. If you would like to roll this out within your organisation after attending the training you can purchase the Trainer package to suit your organisation, and we are happy to discuss the best option for you or organise a bespoke package.
Purchasing 'Rosie 2'
Depending on how 'Rosie 2' is facilitated it is possible to achieve the following learning outcomes on completion of the game:
- An understanding of the pros and cons of undertaking a joint visit
- Be able, in families where there are concerns of neglect, to undertake specific planning for this and identify skills that can be used
- Be able to discuss the use of space and environment features of a home visit
- Be able to identify and discuss some of the key elements of neglect
- Be able to focus on the needs of different children in the family
- Be able to identify and discuss some features of a child's relationships with their mother
- Be able to adopt a holistic assessment of a case
- Be able to identify and discuss indicators of disguised compliance
- Be able to evaluate the possible tensions and inconsistencies of a long term case with frequent changes of key professionals
- Be able to plan how to work with the family
- Develop awareness and be able to reflect on the professional responsibilities of others involved in child protection, in particular health visitors, education welfare officers, and head teachers
- Have obtained an understanding of how 'direct work' can be used in order to gain insight into the child's, thoughts, feelings and experiences
- Be able to understand the importance of rapport building in developing a supportive relationship with a child
- Through the use of games to have increased awareness of communication skills with a child
- To reflect on what you as a practitioner do to address a child's concerns with an adult
To find out more about each member of the McGraw family, please take a look at the character descriptions.
This is the location map showing information on the main places of interest to the McGraw family
Prepare for and respond to Ofsted
A diagram has been created to highlight the aspects of 'Rosie 2' that specifically relate to the areas that Ofsted measures, and this new training package provides an innovative way of training staff and raising standards. More information can be found on this link.
Watch the videos - How to use 'Rosie 2' and Maximising 'Rosie 2'
There are two videos available that provide more information on 'Rosie 2':-
Watch Professor Jane Reeves discussing How to use 'Rosie 2' in your organisation
Professor David Shemmings explains how to maximise 'Rosie 2' within your organisation to generate the greatest impact.
Before you start - computer requirements
'Rosie 2' needs Flash Player installed to be able to run.
You can check to see if you have the correct version of Flash Player installed by clicking here.
The recommended hardware for the game content is:-
- Mac OS 10.6+ Dual Core 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM
- Windows PC Dual Core processor and 2GB RAM
- 'Rosie 2' can be played on the iPad if you use a browser (such as Puffin) that can show Flash files. The scroll bar and log facility will be minimal as this aspect is not compatible with the iPad.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I have not received my link to activation my External Moodle login setup
If it is not in your Junk folder, your firewall may have blocked the confirmation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will manually activate it.
My enrolment key is not accepted
First please double check you are accessing the "organisation" or "individual" area, anyone whose organisation has purchased the package is in the "organisation" section, purchasers of the "individual" package are independent professionals. Rather than copying and pasting, try typing the code in. If still unable to acces, please email email@example.com or call 01227 827546.
Cannot log onto External Moodle
Check availability on http://www.kent.ac.uk/is/computing/motd.html.
Which version of Adobe Flash Player is on my computer?
The VSS game requires Adobe Flash Player, you can download latest version You can check to see if you have the correct version of Flash Player installed by clicking here.
Where can I get the latest version of Adobe Flash Player?
You can download latest version of Adobe Flash Player from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html.
I have Flash player but am still having viewing issues
Your browser may not be compatible with the version of Flash you are using, you may want to try accessing from a different computer to see if it is browser or settings issue with your computer. Please email us or call for more technical support.
Link to Kent Online Store not working
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01227 827546.
Kent Online Store items are visible for purchase but the store is not adding items to the shopping basket or having problems entering payment details
Please contact email@example.com.
Unable to purchase items on Kent Online Store
Please ensure that you have first created an account.
Confirmation of purchase email not received
Check your email settings to ensure that the receipt has not been sent to your ‘junk mail‘ folder. Otherwise contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I view 'Rosie 2' on different computers?
'Rosie 2' is stored on our server and is an online training tool, no software is installed on your machine. Therefore you may log onto External Moodle from your office computer or your laptop at home for example.