Research in the Faculty of Social Sciences
Research in the Faculty of Social Sciences has its origins in the strong disciplinary-based research of the individual academic staff in the Faculty's constituent Schools and Centres, and incorporates research activity at the University's Canterbury, Brussels and Medway campuses.
This strong individual research base creates a broad range of research groups across the Faculty with both critical mass and high quality research performance in terms of external funding, PhD research and publications in international refereed journals and with major commercial presses (see below for links to further information).
In addition, from the activities and interests of these disciplinary research groups several multidisciplinary research themes can be identified. These themes include: ageing and lifelong health; multiculturalism and conflict; social science aspects of energy use and security; biodiversity conservation and environmental sustainability; decision-making and entrepreneurship; and gender and equality in the workplace. As a consequence, one of the Faculty's over-arching strategic priorities is to encourage further development of such multidisciplinary research activities among its various research groups.
The University has an online resource centre for researcher development. Through the website, researchers can access development opportunities at the University and externally. These range from structured training courses to informal learning events, networks and career advice. These resources will help University-based researchers to develop their effectiveness and to build on a range of skills for the variety of other careers open to people with research experience.
Links to Research Information in Schools and Centres
- School of Anthropology and Conservation - http://www.kent.ac.uk/sac/research/index.html
- School of Economics - http://www.kent.ac.uk/economics/research/index.html
- Kent Business School - http://www.kent.ac.uk/kbs/research/index.html
- Kent Law School - http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/research/index.html
- School of Politics and International Relations - http://www.kent.ac.uk/politics/research/index.html
- School of Psychology - http://www.kent.ac.uk/psychology/research/index.html
- School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research - http://www.kent.ac.uk/sspssr/research/index.html
- Centre for Journalism - http://www.kent.ac.uk/journalism/Research.html
- Centre for Professional Practice - http://www.kent.ac.uk/cpp/
- Centre for the Study of Higher Education - http://www.kent.ac.uk/cshe/
More information about life at Kent can be found on the main University pages.
For details about the facilities and locations please read the Why Choose Kent, About Kent and location guides. For further information about available courses, studying and research at Kent please read Studying at Kent and Research at Kent.
For a taste of student life, check out the Student Guide.
Further information is also available on funding and student finances including details on costs, loans, grants, bursaries, and scholarships. You might also find the student costs calculator useful. For accommodation whilst studying, please visit the Accomodation Office.
Information for overseas students can be found at the International Office.