Modern Languages

Go Abroad

Go Abroad

Find out where you can go


Study abroad

The Department of Modern Languages has Erasmus agreements with several universities in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian speaking countries. For details of where you can study, see Kent's A to Z course list. You can also visit the Go Abroad website.

Year abroad fees

Undergraduate students pay reduced tuition fees to Kent if they spend a full year abroad, usually 15% of the normal fees. No additional tuition fee is payable to any partner universities abroad. For more information about Year Abroad fees, please visit the Go Abroad fees and funding webpage.

Single honours

All single honours students studying modern languages are required to spend an additional year of study, between Stages 2 and 3, in a country speaking the language they study unless specifically exempted by Faculty Board. This is a fantastic way to improve your language skills and get an understanding of the culture.

They may choose one of three options:

  • Follow a full-time course of study at a partner university
  • Teach as a language assistant (up to 12 hours per week)
  • Engage in full-time employment in an approved occupation.

Joint honours

Students studying two modern languages as a joint honours are required to spend 6 months in a country speaking each of the languages they study. Those taking Modern Languages in combination with a non-language subject are required to spend their whole year abroad in a country speaking the language they study. Please note that our Asian Studies programme does not include a compulsory year abroad, and so Asian Studies and Modern Language students spend their year abroad in a country speaking the modern language they study.


University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 03/08/2015