- How do you understand 'religion' in relation to your research?
- What are the implications of this for the aims, content and process of your work?
Politics and ethics of research
- How do we understand the political and ethical context of our research?
- Does the ethical nature of research go beyond the concerns of codes of ethics?
Rigour and validtity
- What are the qualities of rigorous research?
- How can we evaluate the arguments and evidence used in a particular piece of research?
- What are the key elements of research design?
- How do we select, and possibly combine, methods for our research?
- What are key issues in designing effective comparative research?
- What are the implications of working in larger, collaborative research teams?
- What are the different approaches to selecting a sample for a research project?
- What are the implications of these different approaches for the kind of knowledge that can be claimed from a study?
- How can quantitative methods inform the study of religion?
- What are the different ways in which these methods can be used?
- What are the different approaches to undertaking ethnographic research?
- What specific challenges and issues can be raised by taking an ethnographic approach?
Researching objects and space
- What can we learn by studying objects and space in our research?
- What are key theoretical and methodological approaches to doing this?
- What do visual methods contribute as a distinctive way of generating knowledge?
- What different visual methods can be used in research?
- Why should we take media seriously in our research?
- What are some of the main approaches that people have taken in this field?
Designed in conjunction with leading researchers in the study of religion, this site aims to provide resources to support methodological training in this field. Funded by the AHRC, this project forms part of the wider methods programme at the Department of Religious Studies at Kent, and has been developed in conjunction with the UK Religion and Society programme.