School of Psychology

World-leading research and teaching

The Personal Academic Support System (PASS)

The School of Psychology sees student support as a vital part of your personal and academic development during your time at University. There may be times during your degree when you need support and guidance on issues that may affect your ability to study and complete your programme, such as family or personal problems, health problems or financial concerns. We believe that early intervention in cases of difficulty or when you just feel unsure about things has the best chance of improving your experience and ensuring your success.

We have a system within the School of Psychology to provide personal and academic support and guidance. This is known as the Personal Academic Support System (PASS). The PASS Team comprises:

  • A Student Advisor (located in Keynes, Office L1.13)
  • School Senior Tutor
  • Your Academic Adviser
  • Chief Examiner – Stage 1
  • Chief Examiner – Stage 2 and 3
  • The Psychology Office
  • School Director of Education
  • Director of Graduate Studies
  • School Administration Manager
  • Head of School

The Psychology Office

You should approach the Psychology Office in the first instance with any general queries or problems. Depending on the nature of the query, you may be referred to the Student Advisor or another member of staff.

The Student Advisor

The Student Advisor’s office is located in Keynes College, Room L1.13, Tel: (01227 82)4771. The Student Advisor offers drop-in sessions (10am-12 noon on Monday and Friday and 2pm-4pm on Wednesday) for which no appointment is needed. You are also welcome to make an appointment either by contacting Kate Scott via or through the Psychology Student Office (Keynes M1.13).


The Student Advisor is a member of the School's Personal Academic Support System.

Sometimes you might experience problems that can impact on your ability to study. Problems may be academic, personal or health-related. The role of the Student Advisor is to provide advice and assistance to undergraduate and taught postgraduate students to help you overcome such problems.

The Student Advisor can give advice on the following:

  • Any academic, personal or health problem that might affect your ability to study
  • Issues relating to mental health, disability and dyslexia
  • Applying for concessions
  • Intermissions/withdrawals
  • Equality and Diversity issues
  • Feedback and complaints

The Student Advisor is not an expert in all these fields. However, she is able to ensure that you can access the relevant help and support. Sometimes this might involve referring you to one of the many Student Support Services available on campus.

Please also see the Student Advisor’s webpage.

The Senior Tutor

The Senior Tutor is Dr Eduardo Vasquez.

Your Academic Adviser

When you register with the University a member of the School’s academic staff will be assigned to you as your Academic Adviser. You can check who this is on SDS under "My Tutor". You will meet your Academic Adviser twice a year, the first time within the first two weeks of term. Your Academic Adviser is there to help you with your academic and professional development. They will help you reflect upon your academic progress so that you can reach your full potential and they will advise you on the opportunities that are available to help you gain and enhance employability skills.

The Student Success (EDI) Project

The Student Success (EDI) Project Officer is Anamaria Buescu.

Please see the Student Success (EDI) Project page for further information.

Appropriate treatment

The School of Psychology is committed to developing a working and learning environment in which all have the right to be treated – and the responsibility to treat others – with dignity, courtesy, respect and consideration.

Please see our EDI page for further details.

Your role

The Student Advisor and other members of the PASS Team may ask to see students or need to send out correspondence, for example if there are concerns about progress or attendance. Please make sure that your contact details up to date on the Student Data System (SDS) and that you check your email regularly. It is important that you come and see us when we ask you to!

If you feel you need advice on problems, it is better to talk to us sooner rather than later so we can offer support and guidance as early as possible.


Students can ask for a reference from the school in two ways :

  • You can ask your Final Year Project supervisor for an academic reference. This will tend to be more personal, as the member of staff will have worked with you closely, and will be able to comment on your abilities etc.
  • You can request a school reference via email. This will be more based on your SDS record, such as attendance, marks, your record of submitting work on time, and any participation in school extra-curricular activities, such as the WES / RES. To request a school reference, please email Frances James via the dedicated email address

Please do not leave requesting a reference until the last minute, as it can take some time to prepare. It is good practise to email the person from whom you would like to request a reference to seek their permission in advance.

Please note that seminar leaders are not permitted to provide references.

Feedback, suggestions or complaints?

We welcome any comments or suggestions from students. In general, these can be submitted to the Student Advisor who will ensure that your feedback is raised at the appropriate committee meetings (e.g. Staff/Student Liaison Committee meetings) so that changes can be made as and when necessary. Alternatively you can submit your feedback via the School's suggestion box outside the Psychology Student Office or by contacting your student representative. You can also offer feedback via our School student survey, which we carry out every year.

If you have an individual complaint and you cannot resolve the matter with the person your concern relates to, please contact either the Student Advisor or the School Administration Manager (email Alternatively, you can speak to an advisor at the Kent Union Advice Centre, which is independent of the University. Their contact details are available at

Further information on how complaints can be made and dealt with can be found in the University Complaints Procedure for Students.


School of Psychology - Keynes College, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NP

Contact us

Last Updated: 11/10/2016