Elena joined the School in 2012, after successfully leading the Centre for European Studies at Aberystwyth University. Elena was awarded Jean Monnet Chair for the second time, within the Global Europe Centre (GEC) in 2013.
Elena received her Doctoral Degree in European Politics from the University of Bath (2001), and a PhD equivalent in Political Sociology from the Belarusian State University (1997). Thereafter she served as a British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow, and a visiting Professorial Fellow at the Belarusian and Armenian State Universities.
Elena is member of the International Advisory Board for the GLOBSEC and Central European Strategy Council; Professorial Fellow of the Dahrendorf Forum at LSE and visiting Professor of the College of Europe (Natolin). Elena is also member of executive committees for BASEES and CEELBAS, and a co-founder of Eastern Partnership Advancement Centre (EPAC) in Brussels. Elena works closely with the European Commission, European Parliament and national governments of the EaP region. She is a regular media commentator for BBC, ITV, France24 and Sky News.
Elena's research interests include EU foreign policies with an emphasis on the Eastern Partnership Initiative (EaP), and the External Action Service (EEAS); EU governance, EU-Russia relations, democracy and democracy promotion. In 2011 Elena completed a large ESRC-funded project (RES-061-25-0001) titled 'Europeanising or securitising the outsiders: Assessing the EU's partnership-building with Eastern Europe' (2008-2011), which findings contributed towards revising EU policies in the eastern neighbourhood.
Elena is a co-founder and Director (Professional Studies) of the Global Europe Centre at Kent. The GEC offers a unique framework for research-led inter-disciplinary and cross-site (Brussels and Canterbury) multi-user collaboration.
Mondays 2.30pm - 3.30pm and Tuesdays 9am - 10am
Available for: TV - BBC News, BBC World, France 24, BBC Wales, BBC Russian service Radio - BBC Radio Press Consultancy Expertise: European Foreign Policy, including Eastern Partnership and European Neighbourhood Policy EU Foreign and Security Strategy European Enlargement EU-Russia relations Democracy Promotion Governance/Governmentality in IR and EU studies Regional Expertise: European Union Eastern neighbourhood Former Soviet Union Elena has previously consulted for the following: EU funding framework expert-evaluator Member of the ESRC peer review college FCO Eastern Division EU Delegations and national governments in the EaP region EU institutions (Commission, EEAS, Parliament, House of Lords) Languages: English, Russian, Belarusian, Polish (conversational), Bulgarian, Ukrainian (intermediary), German (elementary)
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
- EU Foreign Policy and External Relations, including European Neighbourhood Policy and Eastern Partnership
- Europe as a Transformative force
- Concepts of Partnership/Governance/Governmentality in IR and EU studies
- Pluralising and contextualising democracy promotion
- EU-Russia relations especially in application to the contested neighbourhood
- Strategic review of the EU’s Foreign and Security Policy
- Elena is currently working on a series of H2020 and ESRC initiatives
- CEELBAS development fund, Phase II, a seven-member consortium (AHRC, AH/L006715/1, 2014-16)
Recently completed projects
• European Partnership Fund, University of Kent, 2015
• Slovak Atlantic Commission ‘Widening Participation in Moldova’ (£15,000) 2013-14
• European Commission, Jean Monnet LLP, 2013-16
• European Commission UK, wider community project 2014
• Slovak Atlantic Commission - Widening Participation in Moldova (2013-14)
• FCO/British Embassy (Minsk) project ‘Promoting Democracy by Education in Belarus’ 2013
• ODB/SIDA project ‘Engendering European values by education in the eastern region’ 2013
• European Commission, Jean Monnet LLP, Pilot Project ‘Teaching EU in schools’ 2012
• European Commission, Jean Monnet Life Long Programme (2011)
Elena is the primary supervisor for the following Research students:
The Soft-Civilian Power: Europe and Consular Affairs in a Changing International System
Eske Van Gils
EU Bargaining Power: examining EU-Azerbaijan relations
EU and Frozen conflicts
EU integration lessons for the ASEAN