Elena Korosteleva is Professor of International Politics and Jean Monnet Chair in European Politics which she received twice in recognition of her research and teaching excellence. Before joining the School in 2012, Elena was Director of the Centre for European Studies at Aberystwyth University. This experience contributed to the successful launch and leadership of the Global Europe Centre (GEC) at Kent, in partnership with Professor Richard Whitman. Elena is Deputy Head of School with responsibility for Internationalisation. Her remit includes strengthening existing and developing new international partnerships and student recruitment opportunities.
Elena received her Doctoral Degree in European Politics from the University of Bath (2001), and a PhD equivalent in Political Sociology from the Belarusian State University (1997). Thereafter she served as a British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow, and is currently a visiting Professor at the Belarusian State University, College of Europe (Natolin, 2015-16), and Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy (2016+). Elena is member of the International Advisory Board for the GLOBSEC and Central European Strategy Council; Professorial Fellow of the Dahrendorf Forum at LSE, and member of executive committees for BASEES and CEELBAS. Elena works closely with the European Commission, EEAS, and national governments of the EaP region; and is a regular media commentator for BBC, ITV, France24 and Sky News.
Elena's research interests include EU foreign policies including European Neighbourhood and Eastern Partnership Initiative (EaP); EU governance; EU relations with Russia and the Eastern region and Central Asia, democracy and democracy promotion. In 2011 Elena completed a large ESRC-funded project (RES-061-25-0001) titled 'Europeanising or securitising the outsiders: Assessing the EU's partnership-building with Eastern Europe' (2008-2011), which findings contributed towards revising EU policies in the eastern neighbourhood. She is currently a CO-I to the H2020 UPTAKE (EU 691818) project ‘Building Research Excellence in Russian and East European Studies’ in partnership with the Universities of Tartu and Uppsala. For more information visit the project site.
Academic office hours are available on
Available for: TV - BBC News, BBC World, France 24, BBC Wales, BBC Russian service Radio - BBC Radio Press Consultancy Expertise: European Foreign Policy, including Eastern Partnership and European Neighbourhood Policy EU Foreign and Security Strategy European Enlargement EU-Russia relations Democracy Promotion Governance/Governmentality in IR and EU studies Regional Expertise: European Union Eastern neighbourhood Former Soviet Union Elena has previously consulted for the following: EU funding framework expert-evaluator Member of the ESRC peer review college FCO Eastern Division EU Delegations and national governments in the EaP region EU institutions (Commission, EEAS, Parliament, House of Lords) Languages: English, Russian, Belarusian, Polish (conversational), Bulgarian, Ukrainian (intermediary), German (elementary)
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
- EU Foreign Policy and External Relations, including European Neighbourhood Policy and Eastern Partnership
- Europe as a Transformative force
- Concepts of Partnership/Governance/Governmentality in IR and EU studies
- Pluralising and contextualising democracy promotion
- EU Relations with Russia, eastern region and Central Asia
- EU Global Security Strategy and resilience
- Elena is a CO-I to the H2020 UPTAKE (EU 691818; 2016-19) project ‘Building Research Excellence in Russian and East European Studies’ in partnership with the Universities of Tartu and Uppsala. For more information visit the project site.
- EASMUS+ project (2016-2-UK01-KA107-034991) ‘Developing excellence at Belarusian State University’ (2017-18)
Recently completed projects
- SIBA, Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy, EUROPAID, 2016
- CEELBAS Development fund, a seven-member consortium, AHRC, 2014-16
- ODB/SIDA Belarus’ values survey, 2016
- European Partnership Fund, University of Kent, 2015
- Slovak Atlantic Commission ‘Widening Participation in Moldova’, 2013-14
- European Commission, Jean Monnet LLP, 2013-16
- European Commission UK, wider community project, 2014
- FCO/British Embassy (Minsk) project ‘Promoting Democracy by Education in Belarus’, 2013
- ODB/SIDA project ‘Engendering European values by education in the eastern region’, 2013
- European Commission, Jean Monnet LLP, Pilot Project ‘Teaching EU in schools’, 2012
- European Commission, Jean Monnet Life Long Programme, 2011
- ESRC 1st Grants Scheme ‘Assessing the EU’s partnership-building approach with Eastern Europe’, 2008-11
Elena supervises the following Doctoral students:
Small States’ Foreign Policy: the Case of Belarus
Collective Identity Constructions and Perceptions of Security in the South Caucasus (2009-2015)
The Soft-Civilian Power: Europe and Consular Affairs in a Changing International System
Eske Van Gils (completed successfully in 2016)
EU Bargaining Power: examining EU-Azerbaijan relations