Universities at Medway
The University of Kent is part of a unique partnership that includes the University of Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church University, known collectively as the Universities at Medway.
The institutions share the specially developed campus, which was originally built as a naval base, HMS Pembroke, at the start of the 20th century. The campus iself comprises two sites: Pembroke and The Historic Dockyard Chatham and we have teaching and social facilities at both sites. The University of Kent moved onto the Pembroke site in 2005, and most of our buildings are new or have been completely renovated.
The University has invested millions of pounds in purpose-built facilities. The campus includes buildings equipped for a range of teaching specialities, including exercise suites and a private treatment clinic for the School of Sport and Exercise Sciences and an industry-standard multimedia newsroom for the Centre for Journalism. The £10 million Drill Hall Library hosts extensive book and journal collections, as well as around 400 personal computers, plus netbooks and laptops, for student use.
The University also has prominent buildings at The Historic Dockyard Chatham for the School of Music and Fine Art and the Centre for Music and Audio Technology. These include the Smitheries, which has soundproofed practice rooms/acoustic booths (both individual and group), a music specialist iMac suite and stereo production room. The Boiler House Workshop has a woodworking area, an outside sculpture yard with a covered work area, and printmaking studio. The Fire Station and The Drilling Shed both house state-of-the-art music and audio facilities. The Engineering Workshop is an impressive space with a team of highly experienced technicians, whose specialisms include printmaking, metal work and sculpture.
The new home of Kent Business School at Medway is The Sail and Colour Loft, originally built in 1723. Fully refurbished, the building features six seminar rooms, a group learning room, a computer suite, quiet study areas and student social spaces.
Adjacent to the Sail and Colour Loft is the Royal Dockyard Church; a magnificent Georgian, Grade II listed building constructed between 1808 and 1811. In partnership with Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust, the University has recently transformed the Church into a magnificent 21st-century flexible space. As a traditional lecture theatre, it has retractable seating and features embedded technology for lecture recording, interactivity and in-class voting. As a performance space, it features a sprung floor, excellent acoustics and hosts a number of concerts by students and guest musicians.