Our academic staff encourage, support and inspire, introducing you to new ways of thinking about your favourite subject. They listen to your opinions and give you the confidence to pursue your ideas.
Many are engaged in research, working to advance thinking in their field and to have a positive impact on the wider world. Many have practical experience, having worked in journalism, social work, the music industry and other areas of business.
We know that students have different styles of learning so we are flexible in our approach. Alongside traditional seminars and lectures there are workshops and group work, which help you to get to know your classmates and gain confidence in public speaking and presentations.
Whatever subject you are studying, your lecturers will take the time to ensure you reach your full potential.
Quote Evangeline Agyeman
If you feel like you need help, then take it. Our uni offers a lot.Evangeline Agyeman
Social Sciences Read profile
Our professionally focused courses have been designed to help you prepare for your future career. You use outstanding specialist facilities and on many of our courses you gain practical experience. For example:
- Business and finance – all students take a compulsory year in industry
- Computing – you can apply to gain work as a student IT consultant, at the Kent IT Consultancy
- Event and Experience Design – you are taught in an environment that reflects the professional world, using industry-standard resources
- Journalism – work placements with the KM Group and KMTV
- Music – access to industry-standard equipment prepares you for a career in the industry and there are lots of opportunities to perform in gigs and concerts
- Social work/Pharmacy – practice placements are a compulsory part of these courses
- Social Sciences/Criminal Justice and Criminology – our Social Justice Practice module allows you to gain practical experience in the voluntary or community sector. You can also choose to spend a year on professional placement
- Sport – you can work in clinics run by the School or help to run group exercise classes with special populations, for example people with Parkinson’s.
On some courses, you can gain accreditation or recognition from the relevant professional bodies.
Centre for Professional Practice
At Medway, as well as helping our students gain the skills they need to start a career, we run courses for established professionals who are ready to take the next step.
The Centre for Professional Practice’s courses have been created in partnership with employers specifically for working professionals who may be non-traditional learners and whose studies need to fit around their career.
Our flexible programmes allow you to study either individual modules or to work towards a postgraduate certificate, diploma or Master’s degree. Sessions are delivered in a welcoming, supportive and flexible academic environment, by an academic team with extensive professional practitioner experience.
If you're interested, you can find out more on our website.
Quote Alexi Bitsios
The teaching has been excellent. Nothing is ever too much trouble, and tutors often share their own time to ensure that you don’t leave until you are clear about what is being expected of you with regard to the assignments.James Devine, MSc Professional Practice graduate
A supportive environment
Medway is a diverse campus. Our students range in age, come from a variety of backgrounds and have different goals and ambitions. Whoever you are, we provide outstanding support for your studies via our Student Learning Advisory Service and library services, excellent pastoral support from our wellbeing team and careers advice from our employability service.
The student unions, Kent Union and GK Unions are also happy to help.
Our support page has all the details.
We encourage our students to take advantage of the many opportunities available to them to enhance their employability. There’s a real entrepreneurial spirit on campus, with some students attending Kent Business School’s Aspire programme, which helps them to make the most of their great ideas.