Finding journal articles
The easiest way to find journal articles is to do a keyword search for your topic in LibrarySearch.
We also have a range of databases to help you find journal articles and other relevant material for your subject (they may not all be included in LibrarySearch).
Some databases only give you the reference, but most provide a 'Full text' button if we have a subscription to the article. All our databases are listed in the A-Z of e-resources.
Select databases for History
- Historical Abstracts (1450-): this does not contain information on North American topics
- International Medieval Bibliography (ca 450-1500)
- Bibliography of the History of Art: currently available via The Getty Institute Conducting Research web page
- Princeton Index to Christian Art
- Bibliography of British and Irish History (formerly Royal Historical Society Bibliography). Ignore the 'Full text' button next to books in results; search LibrarySearch to check if book available.
- International political science abstracts: an index to over 900 journals in political science with coverage starting in 1975. A print version going back to 1951 is available at classmark Z JA1.I6 on Floor 2 West
- America: History and Life: index of literature (1964- ) covering the history and culture of North America
- Journal Archives (from Jisc): cross-search over 600 journals from:
- Brill Journal Archive Online
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Virtual Library Archive
- Institute of Physics (IOP) Journal Archive
- Oxford Journals Archive
- Periodical Archive Online - JISC Collections Selection
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) Journals Archive
- Taylor and Francis Geography, Planning, Urban and Environment Online Archive
- Web of Science (now part of the Web of Knowledge): indexes over 8,000 journals from all subjects (despite its name) and starts coverage in 1970. It includes 200 core history titles.
- Zetoc (online - electronic tables of contents): this is a current awareness service from data provided by the British Library. The service includes searchable details of 20,000 journal titles and 16,000 conference proceedings covering all subject areas from 1993 onwards. Personal current awareness services based on table of contents information from individually selected journal titles or selected keywords are also available from Zetoc Alert and Zetoc RSS.