Relevant Library collections
- Parliamentary papers: the Library's British Government Publications Collection (BGPC) contains an appreciable amount of historical material, including:
- coverage of Parliament back to the earliest Journals of the House of Commons (from 1547) and Lords (from 1509)
- Hansard's Parliamentary debates (from 1830)
- William Cobbett's Parliamentary history
- large collections of reprints of both 18th and 19th century Parliamentary Papers. A microcard edition of House of Commons Papers from 1801 onwards is held in Open Store and the Library holds originals of most 20th century Parliamentary Papers.
- Parliamentary papers for the 19th and 20th centuries are available full text online.
- Departmental publications: historical publications of individual government departments - Public Record Office, Historical Manuscripts Commission, Foreign Office, etc. - are shelved on Floor 3 East. Sectional List 60 gives a summary of publications of this kind in print. Texts and Calendars (classmark Z DA 20) is also of use.
- Indexes: an index to all material published by the Stationery Office since 1980 is provided by UKOP
The Library's Special Collections include a substantial collection of local history books.
The Maddison Collection is an important resource for the history of science, consisting of some 3000 titles in science and technology, mostly dating from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
British Cartoon Archive
The British Cartoon Archive is a national archive which is housed in the Templeman Library. It includes cartoons from British sources from the beginning of the 20th century. Much of the material is also available online.
Canterbury Cathedral Library
The Templeman Library has close links with Canterbury Cathedral Library and as a Kent student or staff member you have access to the Cathedral's archives and printed books. You can search the Cathedral Library's holdings using LibrarySearch.
The Cathedral Library contains about 30,000 books and pamphlets printed before 1900, and an expanding collection of over 20,000 books and journals published in the 20th and 21st centuries. It has particularly strong holdings in church history, theology, national and local history, travel, natural science, medicine and the anti-slavery movement.