Newspapers and news sources
We recommend: Artemis Primary Sources (from Gale):
- allows you to search 14 primary source databases from Gale Cengage with a single search box, including historical, newspaper, and periodicals archives.
- includes interesting tools like "term frequency" (see the frequency of your search term over time) and "term clusters" (see what other terms commonly occur in relation to your search term)
We subscribe to a large number of newspapers, from the United States, the UK, and elsewhere. They are available in a number of formats, including print and online. Visit the news resources pages for full information and access to online holdings.
Some key resources:
- American Periodicals (from ProQuest): database of periodicals published between 1740 and 1940, including special interest and general magazines, literary and professional journals, children's and women's magazines and many other historically-significant periodicals
- Chicago Tribune (from ProQuest): online source of historical local and regional news in Chicago, USA between 1849 - 1990
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers: excellent free website maintained by the Library of Congress. Search hundreds of full text newspapers from 1860-1922. Site also has information about American newspapers from 1690 onwards.
- Los Angeles Times (from ProQuest): Full text and PDFs of this newspaper from 1881-1993.
- The New York Times (1851-2009) with Index (1851-1993) (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): access to over 150 years of American news, world news, and personal stories from the newspaper known for providing "all the news that's fit fo print"
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers (from Gale): primary source newspaper content from the 19th century featuring full-text content and images from numerous newspapers from a range of urban and rural regions throughout the U.S., covering topics like the American Civil War, African-American culture and history, Western migration and Antebellum-era life