Search/browse theatre collections
Refine your search using these filters,
or supply your own search term or phrase.
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter--Finances and Investments(2)
- Canterbury Cathedral Precincts, Building Works and Repairs(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Canons Residentiary(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter--Pensions(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter--Seasalter Land Sale(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter--St. Catherine's Audit(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral Chapter--Tithes(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Choir School(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Preachers(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Services(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral, Vergers(1)
- Canterbury Cathedral. Friends--Offices(1)
- Church of England, Livings and Benefices(1)
- Halford Bequest Fund(1)
- Housing of the working classes in England and Wales(1)
- Johnson family--correspondence(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Chairman of Governors of King's School (Canterbury, England)(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Clerical career in Manchester(1)
- Johnson, Hewlett, 1874-1966--Writings--"The Interpreter"(1)
- King's School (Canterbury, England)(1)
- King's School (Canterbury, England), Classrooms(1)
Minutes of the January Monthly Meeting of the Chapter, held on Saturday, 29th January 1938. The following items were discussed - Minutes of the December Monthly Meeting. New Statutes. Leases to the King's School. Burgate 22 - ideal boiler. Precincts 6. Choir School - Mr. Charles' appointment. Electricity kiosk in Precincts. Cathedral alms. Cathedral handbooks. Mr. Bligh and loudspeakers. Precincts 18. Choir - wearing of ruffs and red cassocks. Exning. Tithe Act - capital. Burgate 22. Bell Harry Tower turrets. Tithe Act 1936 - renumeration. Clergy Widows and Orphans Fund - and Education Society. Halford Bequest. Nave stalls. Charge for bell-ringing and Bedesmen - tunicle; stole and burse; sueplices; vergers' holidays; wedding and funeral fees. Church Tutorial Classes Association. Guiding permit for Cathedral.
This File contains correspondence between Johnson and Lambeth Palace (much of it directly with Archbishop Cosmo Gordon Lang) in the 1930s. It includes letters of reprimand from Lang to Johnson and it covers a range of topics that concerned Johnson in his role as Dean of Canterbury. Among them are: the suitability of preachers for Canterbury Cathedral, the wearing of vestments, the appointment of canons and the suppression of canonries, relationships with the King's School and its Headmaster, and the Statutes of the Cathedral and the King's School.
Minutes of the St. Catherine's Audit and Chapter, 1937, held on Thursday, 25th, and continued on Friday, 26th, and Saturday, 27th November, 1937. The following items were discussed - Minutes of the October Monthly meeting - Stone-in-Oxney; Fresco, Meister Omers; Precincts 19, iron grille; garden of Precincts 18; Exning with Landwade; Mr. Kelway, verger; Mr. Chambers, lay clerk. Lay Clerks' vestry and flower room. Extracts from Minutes of Friends' Council meeting - Precincts 3; cleaning of stone and marble; monument to Archbishop Morton. King's School commutation. Land at Seasalter. Tithe, Littlebourne. Precincts 14. Distribution of audit alms. Appointment of Receiver (T. K. Sopwith). Appointment of Treasurer (E. Hardcastle). Key audit. Cathedral alms fund. Dr. Sheppard's funeral expenses. Librarian's report. Precentor's report. Election of Precentor (J. H. A. Charles). Minor canons and period of appointment. Sacrist's report. Appointment of Sacrist (J. W. Poole). Friend's Council Meeting - Wax Chamber, safety of access; Christmas crib; levelling of the cloister garth, cleaning of west wall and treatment of ribs. King's School - headmaster's report. Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Application to keep dog. Forrens 4. Precincts 18 - dilapidations. Kneeling in choir. Cope chest. Committee of Ways and Means. Choir School Committee. New Statutes. All Saints, Maidstone; chancel. Special meeting.