The Jacques Copeau Archive was purchased by the Drama Department at the University of Kent from the academic John Rudlin, formerly Senior Lecturer in Drama at the University of Exeter. Rudlin is the author of two books on Copeau and the editor of Copeau, Texts on Theatre, with Norman H Paul.
The Copeau Archive consists of:
- printed volumes on and by Jacques Copeau
- correspondence between Copeau, Jules Romains and Roger Martin du Gard
- articles written by Copeau as a drama critic, and as a theatre director and educationalist
- letters between John Rudlin and Marie-Hélène Dasté
- photographs of Copeau, scenes from his plays and designs for scenery.
Many of the items are translations by Norman H. Paul. The dates of the documents in this archive range from 1905-1990.
Accession code: UKC/COP
Theatres mentioned in this archive
- Théâtre du Vieux-Colombier, 21, rue du vieux-colombier, 6 Arr., Paris, France
- Comédie-Française, 2 rue de Richelieu,1 Arr., Paris, France
Names connected to this archive
- critic, actor, director, producer: Copeau, Jacques, M., 1879-1949
- author, former owner: Rudlin, John, Mr.
- translator: Paul, Norman H., Mr.
- actor: Dasté, Marie-Hélène, Mme., 1902-1994 (daughter of Jacques Copeau sometimes credited as Marie-Louise Dasté)
- actor: Dullin, Charles, M., 1885-1949
- actor: Jouvet, Louis, M., 1887-1951
- actor: Maistre, Aman, M., fl.1930s
- actor: Saint-Denis, Michel Jacques, M. 1897-1971
- actor: Schlumberger, Jean, M., 1877-1968
- actor: Tessier, Valentine, Mlle., 1892-1981
- author: Antoine, André, M., 1858-1948
- author: Claudel, Paul, M., 1868-1955
- author: Ghéon, Henri, M., 1875-1943 (French religious dramatist born Henri-Léon Vangeon)
- author: Gide, André, M., 1869-1951
- author: Scribe, Eugène, M., 1791-1861
- correspondent: Craig, Edward Gordon, Mr., 1872-1968
- correspondent: Granville-Barker, Harley, Mr., 1877-1946
- correspondent: Martin Du Gard, Roger, M., 1881-1958
- correspondent: Romains, Jules, M., 1885-1972