Compiled by the comedian George Barnes Bigwood, this small collection of 118 items was acquired because of Bigwood's connection with the Britannia Theatre, Hoxton. The material spans 1809-1953, but Bigwood himself is not mentioned on a playbill until 1851.
The Bigwood collection consists, in the main, of playbills predominantly from the Britannia. There are also a few letters and theatrical ephemera such as cuttings and reviews. The collection also includes some artefacts, for example a tea service given to Bigwood by Sarah Lane.
- material relating to George Bigwood's the professional career:
accession code: UKC/BIG
- playbills relating to the Britannia Theatre, High Street, Hoxton: accession code: UKC/POS/LDN BRI
- other playbills in the Bigwood collection: accession code: UKC/BIG/POS
- theatrical ephemera: accession code: UKC/BIG/MISC
- letters: accession code: UKC/BIG/LET
- press cuttings: accession code: UKC/BIG/CUT