Sally Sheldon's research interests are primarily in health care law and ethics, and the legal regulation of gender. She has published widely in the area of medical ethics and law, including a book on abortion law ('Beyond Control: Medical Power and Abortion law', 1997) and a co-edited collection of essays on Feminist Perspectives on Health Care Law (1998). Together with Richard Collier of Newcastle Law School, she has also co-authored a socio-legal study of fatherhood ('Fragmenting Fatherhood', 2008) and co-edited 'Fathers' Rights activism and Law Reform (2007). Her current work centres on reproduction and the law. In 2017, Sally was elected as a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences, in recognition of her pioneering socio-legal research, particularly in the area of abortion law.
Major research projects
- The Abortion Act: A Biography. 1 May 2016 – December 2019 (AHRC)
- "How Can a State Control Swallowing?" Medical Abortion and the Law. October 2014 - March 2016 (AHRC)
- Fatherhood: a Socio-Legal Study. 2004 – 2006 (ESRC, £123,000).
- Key Concepts in Feminist Legal Theory. A series of workshops between Keele, Kent, Cornell and Emory, 2003-2008, with Professor Martha Fineman (Cornell/Emory) (British Academy, £15,000).
- Revisiting the Activist/Academic Divide in Gender, Sexuality and Law. A series of workshops between Keele, Kent and Westminster, 2003-2005 (ESRC, £15,586).
- ESRC Small Grant: Assessing Child Welfare under the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act: the New Law (RES-000-22-4291). Co-Investigators: Jan Macvarish and Sally Sheldon. Principal Investigator: Dr Ellie Lee, 2011-3 (£98,000).
Some examples of Sally's media appearances are here.back to top
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
Teaching and Supervision
Health Care Law and Ethics, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Sally is happy to supervise topics in the area of health care law and ethics, reproductive rights, and some aspects of the legal regulation of gender.
Other Academic Activities
- Feminist Perspectives on Law Cavendish-Routledge book series, co-edited (with Anne Bottomley), 1998-2003.
- Social and Legal Studies: an International Journal. Lead editor (2001-5), book reviews editor (1998 ? 2001), editorial board member (1997-)Professional Societies
- Socio-Legal Studies Association, Executive Committee Member (2000-2); and Ordinary Member (1998-).
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars (1997-).
- Occasional Member, American Law and Society Association, Canadian Law and Society Association (1996 -).
- BPAS: Research and Ethics Committee (Member, 2007-; Chair, 2009-); Clinical Governance Committee (2009 -); Board of Trustees (2010 -)
- Advisor, ProChoice Forum