Disk space and servers
Rent disk space
All staff have 2GB of space on the Kent network (as well as email storage). For most staff (if you're on the UKC domain) it's on drive Z.
You can rent extra space (usually on the Storage Area Network) for:
- staff/student file storage (drive X)
- shared project space.
We can assign fixed quotas on usage by individuals or groups.
Do you manage servers?
If you host servers that are connected to the Kent network, you need to make sure they have adequate protection against common cyber-attacks.
It's your responsibility to make them secure: if security is compromised, the University's reputation is at risk. We'll disconnect machines found to be insecure.
How to secure your servers
Follow the Cyber Essentials Scheme to identify specific types of attack, and find out the technical controls you need to put in place.
Is your security adequate in these areas?
- Boundary firewalls and internet gateways
- Secure configuration
- Access control
- Malware protection
- Patch management
Take action if not. You'll need to decide the technology in scope, review each of the five categories and apply each control specified.
If you can't implement something for a sound business reason, you need to implement alternative controls. We already mandate/deliver some controls such as password complexity and boundary firewall.
- Contact us if you want help applying this
- User access controls must comply with the IS Privileged Users Charter (pdf)
- All systems and users connected to the University network are bound by University IT Regulations
We can manage your servers
Information Services (IS) can buy, securely house and maintain physical or virtual servers for you.
What we'll do:
- replace hardware
- manage software updates and operating system updates
- daily file backups for recovery in case of disk failure
- house and maintain physical or virtual servers, stored securely with operating system updates applied.
- dedicated Operations Team support and manage the service
- climate controlled server environment
- physically secure
- infrastructure redundancy to provide service resilience
- offsite backup storage
- uninterruptable power supply
- server performance monitoring through Nagios
- existing connectivity to SAN (Storage Area Network)
- auto-OS patching.
Apply for a virtual machine
- Apply for a virtual machine and get a basic costing
- Negotiated backed-up research data storage for up to 1 TB for specific projects
Facilities management: specialist IT support
We offer specialist IT support for your department. For a small annual fee we can manage your printers, servers and desktops: ask helpdesk.
Admin accounts: Active Directory
An Organisational Unit Administrator Account will let you create groups, manage memberships and distribute software: