Buying staff printers
We're reviewing University printing needs: please contact Procurement before you buy any new printers.
Advice on printer models and drivers
Deskjets or those that don't support PCL or PostScript can't join our network, even if labelled suitable for networking.
- Compatible HP models (xls)
- Purchasing Office can supply a list of other recommended printers and suppliers.
- Contact us to check compatibility of models from other manufacturers.
Printers and printer driver software
- Check that the printer offers a Windows Server 2008 x64 or at least a Postscript (PS) driver (ideally with a PCL5e and a PCL6 driver) in the driver download section of the manufacturer's website.
- Printers that are compatible with Windows Server 2008 x64 offer benefits including the ability to print directly from the Student Data System; continuity of service during failures and maintenance; automatic installation of printer drivers; ability to restrict printer access, and usage statistics.
- When assessing products, compare their printing volumes and speed.
- For more advice contact us.
Add a printer to the network
Connect it to a network socket, then request connection to the network. We might need to charge if it's not a standard printer.
Connect a printer locally
- You might need to ask us for the administrator password
- If you want help installing or using the printer, this might carry a cost.
Buy a photocopier
Order your photocopier through the Purchasing Office.