Using a Staff Managed Desktop
Most staff PCs are Staff Managed Desktops (it says Staff Managed Desktop when you login or press the CTRL + ALT + Delete keys together to lock the PC).
Get started using your staff PC
- To access files and print, you may need to map a drive and install a printer.
- To use Outlook for your staff email open Microsoft Outlook. The setup process should run: choose Microsoft Exchange if asked for the mail service/type.
- Turn your PC off overnight and at weekends to save power and ensure that automatic Windows updates can be applied.
- You're responsible for all activity on your PC so need to lock it when you leave it unattended. To do this press the CTRL + Alt + Delete keys together.
- Your PC or laptop must be secure and protected from viruses.
- Full IT regulations
- You can request temporary admin rights to install work-related software.
Using campus PCs
- Using a Windows 10 Staff Managed Desktop PC
- Using teaching PCs in lecture theatres and seminar rooms
Finding software on staff PCs
To add new software:
- Type Software Center in the search box (bottom left)
- In the Applications tab, select software from the list and click Install
- it looks like nothing is happening, but when complete, status will change to ‘Installed’.
- contact us to request anything not listed.
Collaboration and communication software
SharePoint is collaborative web space for staff to share documents and tasks. You can access it from on and off campus with your Kent IT Account.
Mailing list software
You can create a mailing list that both University users and external users can subscribe to. A useful tool for sharing key academic messages to students or staff, your list can be created in a way that does not allow users to unsubscribe. University of Kent mailing lists