Securing PCs and laptops used for work
- Make sure your PC is protected from viruses.
- It should get regular system updates: always run updates when prompted, don't ignore them.
- Laptops need to be encrypted:
If you connect your phone or tablet to University WiFi or email you need to protect that too: how to protect your phone or tablet
University PCs/laptops: IS can manage them for you
To make sure your school/department complies with security policy and data protection law, use an IS managed service for University-owned PCs and laptops:
If you manage your own University PCs and laptops
It's your responsibility to:
- add PCs and laptops to the UKC domain
- install current anti-virus:
- Windows 10 desktop PCs or laptops that are added the the UKC domain will pick up central IT security policies and anti-virus (Windows Defender).
- Staff Mac anti-virus: ESET
- make sure laptops are encrypted:
- University Windows laptops: set up Bitlocker encryption for the entire drive (external link)
- University Mac laptops: use FileVault to encrypt (Mac support link)