Add a printer to your Mac
Our windows-based print system is problematic on some Macs. The Web Print service works: log in and click Web Print.
If you have Mac OS X 10.10 or newer, you can try to install a printer to see if it will work:
How to check which version of OS X is on your Mac
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left of the screen and select the first option, About This Mac.
- On the About This Mac box that pops up, the version number is directly beneath the Mac OS X title.
Instructions for Mac OS 10.10 and above
- Click the Apple menu (top left of screen), and select System Preferences.
- Click the Print & Fax (or Printers & Scanners) icon, then click the + button on the left of the window.
- Click Advanced in the toolbar (if not visible, hold down the Ctrl key, click on the toolbar, click Customize Toolbar, then drag the Advanced button to the toolbar and click Done).
- When the drop-down menus become available (this may take a minute):
- select Windows Printer via Spools from the Type menu
- in the URL box, enter smb:// followed by the server name and printer name of the required printer in the following format:
smb://servername.ad.kent.ac.uk/printername for example smb://print.ad.kent.ac.uk/A4 (where print is the server name and A4 is the printer name).
- In the Name box, enter the name of the printer.
- You can fill in a location to remind you where it is.
- In the drop-down list Print Using, select the make and model of the printer.
- if it is not listed, and you're printing to a Kyocera printer, download the Kyocera driver. For any other printer, choose Generic PostScript Printer. If you have problems with the Generic PostScript printer driver, download the driver for the printer model from Apple.
- If the printer has duplex unit, tick duplex to enable double-sided printing. Enable other printer options as required, then click OK.
- Click Add. Close System Preferences.
- When prompted to enter a password, enter the password for your computer (not your Kent password).
- When you print a document you will be prompted to login: use your Kent IT Account details.
There are sometimes issues with the print spooler on the Mac. Try this:
- Open System Preferences
- Select Printers and Scanners
- CTRL-click the printer in the list
- Choose Reset spooler list.
More for your Mac